Wednesday, February 4, 2015
San Antonio Federal Building
In the preceding post about the San Antonio post office mural I had a great shot of the lobby that I wanted to post to show the gorgeous interior of this building. It's almost as if the lobby were constructed to showcase the murals rather than the other way around. And then while renaming the images for a file I keep of my blog posts I ACCIDENTALLY COPIED ONE OF THE MURAL PHOTOS OVER THE PHOTO OF THE LOBBY! I tried everything I could think of to get it back but nothing worked. So if you know of a way to uncover that image, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME. I don't want to know at this point because I'll just kick myself again for being such an idiot.
So in the alternative, above is a photo of one tiny area of the lobby but with enough detail that you can see the beautiful arched windows and the chandeliers which hang throughout.
The exterior of the beautiful Hipolito F. Garcia Federal Building and United States Courthouse is also an architectural beauty. The Beaux Arts style structure was one of many new post offices constructed in the mid to late 1930s under Roosevelt's New Deal program to relieve widespread unemployment due to the Great Depression. Many of these new post office buildings were chosen for the mural program. The San Antonio post office and courthouse was the first federal building in the country to be installed with a new technology called air conditioning. It is located on Alamo Plaza across the street from the Alamo and today still houses a branch of the U.S. Post Office and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
The exterior entrances are equally ornate, consisting of brass ornamentation featuring eagles and shields under arches. The building was renamed in honor of Judge Hipolito Frank Garcia in 2004.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
I have done the save over thing but never to a photo that mattered, just something from my yard. i would be distressed and stressed to the max.. i can tell you a computer crash lost me all the Civil War re-enactment photos, i had neglected to put them on the external. now anything that matters goes there as soon as i upload the folder. i do have the ones i posted, i went to Picasa and downloaded them to a folder, but they are the edits and not the originals and better than nothing. as far as I know there is no way to retrieve it.
That building reminds me of the post office in the town where I grew up in Illinois. As a child, I always had a feeling of reverence when going in there with my dad.
I know the feeling, I have lost many pictures.
really amazing detail! love the a/c touch, too. :)
You have such grand buildings in Texas! The mural is fabulous!
Love the light in that first shot.
Beautiful building to go with that beautiful mural.
How frustrating to lose a photo you wanted to keep. I've had that happen too.
Losing photos breaks my heart! (And I have lost a LOT.) Sorry it happened to you.
Fancy-schmancy architecture!
Post a Comment