Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year - The Angel of Oak Grove Cemetery


Happy New Year to everyone.  I have obviously been absent for the past few months but I think it's time to try to get back to my blog.  I've missed blogging and all my blogger friends tremendously.  I am still extremely busy settling my mother's estate and disposing of her property.  Having lived through the depression, Mother kept everything.  She was not a hoarder but simply a saver and she often found ways to repurpose many things.  I'm slowly making my way through it all but it is going to take a while.

In the meantime I was able to spend two weeks during Thanksgiving with my daughter and grandson in Arizona and for Christmas my daughter and I met for the holidays in San Antonio where we spent five days exploring the city and simply resting, enjoying no cooking, no cleaning, room service, and the other amenities that come with living in a hotel.  So welcome back and continue with me on my travels through Texas!

Today I bring you photos of the Angel of Oak Grove Cemetery near my home here in Nacogdoches, Texas.  I live about 25 miles outside of Nacogdoches and it's our rural area's go-to place for most of what we need on a day-to-day basis.

The angel is somewhat small compared to other cemetery angels but she is the most well-known marker in this historic cemetery where four signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence lie at rest, alone with others who were instrumental in the formation of the Texas Republic and later the State of Texas.


She presides over the grave of William S. Clark and his descendants, many of whom still live in this area.  Clark came to Texas in 1829 and was an active political figure throughout his lifetime.  The angel is in need of cleaning but the environmental deposits serve to highlight and outline the beauty of the sculpture. Her nose and fingertips have disintegrated.  She is, afterall, over 140 years old.


A perpetual breeze blows the folds of her skirts.  Does anyone know why so many angel sculptures show the angel with her right hand raised with the palm turned to the sky?


The bow at her waist is also an artistic masterpiece in my opinion.  You can see in this photograph the deterioration of her fingers.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

It really is a beautiful statue and 140 years is a long time to be standing there.
I'm so glad you are back to blogging. I've missed your tours of Texas. Your holiday in San Antonio sounds perfect. Happy New Year!

Birdman said...

We always do well in cemeteries, it seems. Bit ironic, if you ask me.
Welcome back to the fold.
Happy 2015!

Judy said...

Such a lovely sculpture! So glad you are going to be back. I have missed you! Happy New Year!

EG CameraGirl said...

Welcome back to blogging, Kathy. You have been missed, that's for sure.

I don't envy your job of going through all your mother's things. It reminds me that I need to go through some of my "stuff" to make my daughters' job easier when the time comes.

EG CameraGirl said...

I forgot to wish you a happy 2015! I wish you all the best in the year to come.

Jeanne said...

She is very beautiful it's a shame they can't be preserved.
Glad to see you here. Happy New Year!

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

So happy to see you blogging again. Take your time with your Mom's estate and take breaks often to recharge. That us why so many if us love photography I think. It is a nice escape if just for a while. Beautiful garden angel!

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

Ha excuse the phone typing fingers above! But I'm sure you got what I meant!

Kaya said...

Kathy,

I am so glad that you returned to blogging. I wish you a Happy New Year and may it will be the best year for you ever!

A stature is so beautiful!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Welcome back! This is a beautiful angel statue. It has stood the test of time fairly well. Happy New Year and blessings to you.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a beautiful angel. Good to see you here today. Thanks for the nice comment and I look forward to catching up in the coming months.

Randy said...

So wonderful to see you on my blog today. I love all of these photos.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

she is one of the prettiest i have ever seen, the folds of her dress and the ornate wings, just beautiful.. i would think she is lifting the spirits up to heaven, but don't really know. but i do know there are no female angels in the Bible, yet all the angels painted and sculpted are females.

TexWisGirl said...

she's beautiful. i do like the 'crud' that makes her even more beautiful. :)

glad you had good times with your daughter and grandson! and i'm certain there is plenty to do with your mother's possessions. bless you. :)

Gail Dixon said...

It's so good to return to blogging and see your post! I wish you all the best for the new year...many more travel opportunities and time with family. I'm glad you were able to spend quality time with your daughter and grandson. My mother kept a lot, too, and I couldn't help feeling guilty as I donated the majority to a local shelter. But I just did not have room to store all of it, with no siblings to pawn stuff off to. Anyway, so glad you are back!