A giant ice cream cone
A wacky lady who sells bawdy T-shirts (and wears them!)
Lots of vintage signs and lots of junk
And I couldn't resist this one, just to creep you out a little more than the previous post.
She/he/it came in her/his/its own carrying case.
And if you're not interested, there's always a garden rake or two.
And, yes, Magpie, they have kettle corn!
For those of you who may be new to my blog, you may have seen where I refer to First Monday Trade Days as possibly the oldest flea market in the country, and some even say the world. It all started in the 1850s when the circuit judge stopped in Canton, Texas, on the first Monday of each month to hold court. People from the surrounding area came to the courthouse square to watch the proceedings and take care of their business. Many brought their own goods to sell or trade, including produce, farm equipment and livestock. It was common to see wild horses which had been rounded up for sale on trade day. Canton's First Monday earned a statewide reputation as the best place to buy a good horse or to swap a horse with another owner. During this period the event was commonly referred to as Hoss Monday.
In the 1940s, as the tractor became commonplace and the need for horses declined, hog and dog trading became popular. Buyers came from surrounding states to purchase the finest cholera-free pigs sold anywhere. First Monday became the place to find a good hunting dog. Dog trading became so popular that many began referring to First Monday as Dog Monday. Even today Dog Alley is known as the area where one can buy, barter or trade all kinds of poultry, dogs and cats, goats, llamas, horses and pigs and rabbits, frogs and turtles.






20 comments:
That's my kind of ice cream.
all the photos are beautiful, except maybe the subject in the second one. love the cone and the whatever head in a box. i wonder what it is used for. LOVE the signs and great story of the evolution of the place.
Oh, Kathy, I have missed the past couple of months and I so enjoy the "people watching" at Canton! Thank you for taking me along with you! We will have to meet up one of these days! blessings ~ tanna
It sure makes for great photo ops!
the lady w/ the t-shirt is too cute.
speaking of freaky body parts, did you get the post i emailed you the other day?
What a place! Those signs look like something the "pickers" on the History Channel might have picked up. :)
Oh goodness! These are a hoot. Wacky, indeed. I love the body parts, too!
Greetings from Cottage Country!
Oh my! Wacky is right! That must be one of those places where you can find just about anything. Thanks for the history too. Very interesting.
You really did find a lot of wacky things again on your recent trip! This has to be a very interesting place.
That woman is wacky looking for sure! My work always seems to interfere with me going to Canton. Dadblastit! Love all that junk...wish I had that Dr. Pepper sign.
Ohhh...nice. I am suddenly hungry for ice cream.
Lol...great finds. Love the cone...and believe it or not the body in the carrying case. Granted...it's creepy, but it has a wow factor that made me smile. If you're ever in NC, please come visit me. It would be a hoot to go on a photo hunt with you sometime!!!
I've never been to Canton but my daughter has been several times.
The "head" and body parts are part of (or all) a Resuca-Annie, a doll that is used to teach resucitation methods. I don't know if they are still in use (they were some 20 years ago) or if they have been replaced with something better.
Cheers,
Jo, Stella, Zkhat and Ron
Wonder what they sell out of that giant ice cream cone? :)
I LOVE kettle corn!
Canton is RICH with photo ops! I wish I could go with you!
You saw some wacky stuff!!! COOL!
I Love the Ice Cream Cone and the vintage signs. I wonder what grandmother would think if you bought one of those racy tees! Ha!
Hi Kathy,
this Canton flea market seem to be a paradise to make photos. I wisk I could be there too, so thanks for taking me along virtually!
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment