Monday, May 7, 2012

Hopkins County Courthouse (No. 16) - Part 2



The interior of the Hopkins County Courthouse in Sulphur Springs echoes the design of the exterior, incorporating the arches used profusely in the construction.  I was surprised at how small the interior seemed after having encountered the massive exterior of the building.  However, a central staircase providing access to the upper floors probably consumes a great deal of the interior space.  Several county offices are still housed in this building.  The stone-tiled floor above is original; however the color of some of the small tiles are brighter than others, leading one to believe that the floor was repaired to retain the original craftsmanship rather than being replaced.


Exposed arched corrugated iron panels form the ceiling of the first floor.  These panels fit in between iron beams and were used to support the weight of the concrete used for the floors in the second story.  Bare concrete is used for flooring in office areas on the second and third floors and on the exterior porticoes and porches.  Unfortunately I did the bulk of my research on this building AFTER my trip, and that's when I learned that had I continued up the staircase I would have found a black iron spiral staircase that extends up to a hinged skylight in the tower which allowed hot air to vent out through the tower, an early form of air-conditioning in the warm Texas climate.  I doubt very seriously I would have been allowed to continue all the up to the tower, but I might  have tried!




Detail of one of the pink granite and red sandstone carved columns at one entrance of the courthouse.  It looks like some plumbing work is being done in this area.

And now for a final look at this grand old dame!


 Isn't she beautiful?

I have come to learn that the architect of this wonderful old courthouse also designed several others in Texas, and they are definitely on my list of places to visit in this great state!  Many of you commented in yesterday's post that when I made a return trip I would be able to see and compare, etc., etc.  This was over a 300-mile round trip to just to photograph this building so I'm not sure there will be a second trip and I can't imagine that I will find myself back in the area since it is off the beaten track from the area where I live.

21 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I am so glad you made that trip. she is indeed very grand, both outside and inside. I love the arches and the bench in the first shot. and the steps the insets in the hand railing are so beautiful. i think when they built this all rooms were small. all the old houses had tiny rooms. this is an amazing old courthouse.

Randy said...

That is amazing. It really has an old world feel.

TexWisGirl said...

it sure has some great details - inside and out. thanks for sharing it!

Kate said...

It's amazing what we bloggers do to get the photos we want. You are to be commended for making the trip. I think it definitely was worth it to see photos of a building that won't be duplicated in the world we now live in. Great job, Kathy!

Lois Evensen said...

What a glorious old building! Just wonderful.

Judy said...

I'm so glad you made the trip and shared it with us!

Jo's World said...

Count me among those who are glad you drove these miles! What a gorgeous old building, and I love arches wherever they might be buildings, bridges, homes, etc.

The red sandstone, the pink granite, all just grand!

Cheers,
Jo, Stella, Zkhat

Anonymous said...

I would love to wander the inside of this building, Kathy. It's so opulent and grand. :)

Brenda's Arizona said...

Glad you made the trip and shared it with us! The inside reminds me just a tiny little bit of the inside of the Santa Barbara (CA) courthouse. Thanks, Kathy!

Magpie said...

It is a gorgeous place. I can see where a trip back would be excessive. I love the interior as much as the exterior.

Suburban Girl said...

Love the detail

Paula said...

Yes she is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This is be of my favorite buildings, and all I have seen are your photos!

Lara said...

Stunning architecture, indeed!

BlueShell said...

Thank you because here I can learn a lot!
BShell

Teresa said...

What a grand building! Love those arches inside!

Tanna said...

The inside is beautiful, too. Ahhhh... thank you! Such a treat. :) blessings ~ tanna

Reena said...

some beautiful detail you've captured it so well!

Pia said...

Hi Kathy!

That is a 300 miles trip? I know that Texas people have another relation to distances than German people. But that is really a very long trip to do a photo.
But its a wonderful building inside and outside.

Liebe Grüße,
Pia

James said...

Hi Kathy. That sure is a beautiful old courthouse.Your photos are excellent! I live in Grapevine about 7 miles North of the DFW airport so I'm about 100 miles away from Sulphur Springs. I want to take a drive there myself. Maybe in the fall. :)

James said...

Hi Kathy. That sure is a beautiful old courthouse.Your photos are excellent! I live in Grapevine about 7 miles North of the DFW airport so I'm about 100 miles away from Sulphur Springs. I want to take a drive there myself. Maybe in the fall. :)