Saturday, May 19, 2012
One of Those Days
Today was just one of those days. I decided to go on a short road trip (under 75 miles round trip) and I didn't have a good feeling as I started out. It was one of those days when it was hot, not a cloud in the sky, but not a blue sky either. One of those gray/white skies that just said I'll bleach out everything you shoot. But as the day progressed my hopes soared. Some of that yucky sky disappeared and was replaced with brilliant blue with fluffy white clouds. I traveled about eight miles up the road to Timpson, the site of a 4.3 earthquake early Thursday a.m. (our house shook violently but no other problems). There was damage to some 100-plus-year-old buildings but I couldn't see it. I did manage to shoot a couple of pics of "old things" since photography club challenge this month is "old." I was disappointed to find that an old Victorian house which sported an original iron gate with hitching posts for horses and a cannon in the front yard had been torn down and was just a pile of rubble.
From there I went over to Logansport, Louisiana, where I wanted to drive down to the Sabine River. Upon arriving I noticed a Ferris wheel on one bank of this wide river that marks the boundary between Texas and Louisiana. As I got further into town, there was a throng of people. I never figured out what was going on but it was something more than a simple carnival. I couldn't even get below the bridge to go down to the river. So I headed back toward home but decided to take an unknown side road that said Toledo Bend, a lake of 185,000 acres, the largest man-made body of water in Texas, the largest in the South, and the fifth largest in surface area in the United States. I never found the lake but I found a small herd of horses, which welcomed me up to their fence. I took about 30 pictures of friendly mares and curious colts and decided to call the day a success after all. I was so excited! When I finally returned home and uploaded the pictures they were my all crap, weird expressions on the horses' faces, that washed-out sky, crazy colors. I might be able to retrieve three or four of them. Probably the best picture of the day is the above shot. At least I got a good laugh!
Hope your days are bright and sunny and filled with beautiful rivers and frisky colts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
You day sound like it was busier than mine. Love this shot.
Love this shot, so much character! Sorry I been so quiet these last couple weeks, I’ve been really ill (now finally diagnosed with Whooping Cough even though I was immunized) and have had another very rough week.
not exactly a place i would want to try the FRESH fish... it's a great shot though.
Well, you had some pluses and minuses...some days are like that. Your photo makes me a bit hungry!
That sign is something we don't see around here but I saw them a lot when I lived in Illinois. I found some people here that didn't even know you could eat catfish!
I hadn't heard about the earthquake! That is a bit unnerving. I'm glad there was no damage at your place.
Oh, and I have had many of those days when none of my pictures are any good, so I can sympathize.
sorry your day was a wash-out, sort of. i hadn't heard about the earthquake! yikes!!!
What a wonderful road trip! I hope you'll be sharing more of your images.
Oh, Kathy, so sorry you weren't satisfied with your photos. I do look forward to seeing the ones you kept! Sounds like it was a nice adventure anyway!! blessings ~ tanna
I hate that type of light...we have it here so often. Now I'm hungry for catfish!
What a great shot this is Kathy, and I am so glad you are okay after the earthquake.
I wish you lived closer, I would love to go on spontaneous road trips with you!
Hi Kathy,
the main thing is you had fun doing the trip :-)
And this photo above is a wonderful one for your club challenge.
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment