In the late 1930s the Methodists in Jerome, Arizona, would not allow Mexicans to worship at their church, so in 1939 Sabino Gonzales decided to build a church for his people. With stucco, wire mesh, and discarded wooden boxes of blasting powder, Gonzales and the members of his congregation built the aptly named Powder Box Church and it opened for services in 1941. Jerome, once the site of a busy copper mine, eventually became a ghost town but then in the 1980s and 1990s enjoyed a rebirth and the church building is now a private residence in this small but thriving community.
Come Join Me and Others


26 comments:
Very cool history! I wish I could see inside...but I understand that I can't.
interesting narrative!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team
that's a great choice!
Powdery History indeed. Its getting back its fragrance now...
Pheno, ABCW Team
Fascinating! How amazing to live in that building.
Beautiful shot with such wonderful history!
what a great history - and story of perseverence!
What a lovely story of perseverence
Thankyou for sharing Jane UK
It is unique structures like these that give towns special meaning and a sense of history. Maybe one day it will even transform into a local museum. Meanwhile, I hope they removed the blasting powder from out of those boxes. :)
How fascinating! How mean of the Methodists, though. I'm quite surprised it's still standing.
At first I thought is was referring to facial powder and was very curious about that. Glad I read the explanation. It strikes me as very un'Christian' to exclude people from a church!! I thought the point was to get them in. They were probably simultaneously sending missionaries to Mexico...oh don't get me started. Wouldn't that have been ironic? :)
What interesting history! I do feel it's sad that "religious" people would keep someone from worshiping with them based on race. But that has been the way of the world for eons.
Would love to peek inside, and see how much of the church has survived.
A Poignant story behind this Powder Box Church. I read that some People in Arizona are still not so Prepared to include Mexicans in the state... The more things change, the more they stay the same... ;-)
My favorite building in Jerome!! This is a beautiful shot too. I have a whole folder full of shots of this place. I just can't stay away from it. One day, perhaps, it will be included in the historic homes walk and I will get to go inside.
You know, I don't think I've ever noticed that place. Amazing that it hasn't slid down the side of the mountain!
Thats a story well said :)
What a greqat building but so sad that it was built because of the failure of pwople to worship together.
not only a great photo - but a wonderful lesson in history
So pretty, especially with the trees. Nothing like a bit of Christian charity;-)
What a lovely building, and so much history. Thanks for sharing that today!!
I don't think it looks like a church but it is beautiful.
This is really a beautiful structure, but I can't see it as a church.
Not bad to have such a residence. It would be very interesting to have a look inside.
My sister's favorite place to photograph in Jerome.
Post a Comment