Monday, October 31, 2011
The Prettiest Little Church in Texas
While in San Augustine for the Sassafras Festival I had to revisit my favorite church (at least its architecture is my favorite because I know the building does not make the church) that I discovered last year, Christ Episcopal Church. Built in 1870 after a fire destroyed the first building (constructed in 1851), it contains rails and hand-hewn pews which survived the fire and remain through today. The Gothic tower was added in 1891 to relieve the building strain caused by the vibration of the bell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
What a cute church.
Lovingly maintained. :)
That is a perfect little rural church!
it is very pretty. reminds me of that green Episcopal church we have locally.
It is a pretty one. I can just picture a bride and groom in that doorway on their wedding day.
I agree with everyone, especially Judy. What a lovely setting for a wedding.
I love the pristine white. Not a tagger in sight.
That is a pretty church, to be sure.
It is definitely an iconic American church.
I love it, too, and isn't it interesting that there are some buildings you can be drawn to over and over?
Post a Comment