Saturday, November 12, 2011

Faces at the Syrup Festival

Today I went to the Heritage Syrup Festival in Henderson, Texas, about 30 miles west of my home.  It was the most fun I've ever had at a small-town festival, although Henderson was transformed from a small town into a huge city today with the number of people who attended from all over the state.  The Syrup Festival celebrates and re-creates the making of ribbon cane syrup which traditionally took place this time of the year in East Texas.  I took tons of pictures and will bore you with them in the coming days but for now here are some of the faces I encountered.


A wood carver selling his crafts


A clown who spotted an old friend in the crowd


One of the beautiful horses who are members of the Rusk County Sheriff's Department mounted patrol


A young man who could give you a flu shot while you waited in line for the hayride shuttle


A pretty lady in period costume


The mule driver for the syrup mill

11 comments:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

the syrup is like maple syrup.

Randy said...

Wonderful photos. I am curious about the syrup too.

Anonymous said...

OMG a Syrup Festival! Bore me, baby! :-)

TexWisGirl said...

i want to know more about ribbon cane syrup too! :)

Magpie said...

Great portraits!
Did you buy any of the syrup?
Sorry, the clown kinda freaks me out.

Sharon said...

Great people shots here! And, of course, a great hours shot too.

Paula said...

Like those faces and you can get flu shots anywhere now days.

Mildred said...

Loved visiting this beautiful festival through your wonderful shots...but no flu shot for me! Too dangerous for my heath!

***
Have a nice and happy week****

Suburban Girl said...

Terrific portrait shots!

EG CameraGirl said...

It looks like everyone was having a good time.

Pia said...

Sassafras....Syrup..... your festivals have funny names! I like the wood carvers portrait. Have you seen his gorgeous hutband?