Sunday, July 5, 2015
Timpson Frontier Days
Every year over the 4th of July holiday the little town of Timpson, Texas (population 1,155) comes alive during its annual Frontier Days celebration. I had never been before thinking it was some little town rinky-dink festival and, boy, was I ever surprised. It is small but the enthusiasm of the citizens makes up for the quantity and the whole town just exudes quality fun! Almost every person you saw was dressed in 4th of July attire. Of course the Timpson High School cheerleaders wore their uniforms in the school colors, black and gold!
Almost every spot on the parade route is a good place to be. There are only two major streets in the town and the parade traveled down both of them. The fellow above I must presume is one of the participants in the gunfight reenactment which started after the parade and he and a couple others dressed in authentic-looking costumes served as a welcoming committee for all the parade participants. This guy was so photogenic and every photo I took of him he had the greatest expressions on his face to match the body language. I think the young lady behind him sitting by the sign must be describing the fish she caught last weekend!
Some more authentically dressed parade watchers.
Everyone said this year's was the biggest parade yet. What was so cool was that everyone knew everyone else, whether spectators or riders in the parade. Many paraders threw candy for all the waiting children. It was Mardi Gras in July! I loved this motorcyclist's headdress fashioned from a baseball cap.
It was a hot and humid day here in East Texas but many people were dressed for the heat and colorfully.
Here's this fellow again acting surprised at the emergence of a candy apple red Corvette on the parade route.
Another person in perfect 1890s attire. His coffee mug even looks authentic!
Tomorrow: Classic cars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








13 comments:
I can't even pick a favorite photo. i like them ALL and I feel like I was there. everytime i saw the cowboy that is in the vette shot he made me smile. i do love a good gunfight in the street by cowboys.
Looks like a fun time. We didn't go to the parade this year as the traffic is horrendous during our Frontier Days. And we didn't see the fireworks even though they were set off only about a block from our place because I had a cowering, terrified dog in my lap the whole time so we had to hunker down in the quietest spot in the house and turn the TV up loud.
I love that last shot. Looks like it's right out of the old west. I think the small town celebrations can be better.
You got some great shots of this fun celebration. It sort of reminded my of when David had the cabin in Yarnell. They had an event called Yarnell days and everyone turned out for that too.
Looks like a wonderful celebration and you've captured the spirit of it all.
Looks like a town that knows how to celebrate!
I like how they are all dressed in red, white, and blue.
Oh that looks like so much fun! I missed our parade this year. Too much coughing. We take a company sprinter and tow a trailer loaded with 1500 beach balls to hand out to the crowd.
gotta love it!
That's what I call community spirit. Thanks for sharing!
Looks like a well attended event.
Great shots!
What fun! These pieces of Americana as so wonderful! I especially loved the last photo...that guy is so authentic!
A great parade with so much variety. Wonderful people pictures.
Post a Comment