A white picket fence is a dream of many of us. I know I've always wanted to live in a cottage surrounded by one. How do you feel about green?
I doubt that this house was always green and I know at one time the fence was white because even after the house was painted green I've seen photos of a white picket fence. I'm not sure how I feel about a green Victorian house, but at 140 years old I guess she can be any color she wants.
That's right. This lady was built in 1875 in Gonzales, Texas, by Thomas Harrison Spooner for his bride Mollie. They lived there until their deaths and a spinster daughter, who happened to be named Tom (Miss Tom Spooner as she was called), continued living in the house after the death of her parents until 1982. This old lady is said to be in remarkable condition although for a period of 50 years she went unpainted. She has a hand-carved walnut staircase, a revolving stained-glass window between a hallway and the dining room, and several fireplaces with original mantels. It was the first house in the city to use natural gas.
Mr. Spooner was born in Mississippi in 1849 and came with his parents to Texas in 1865. He became a lawyer and opened a practice in Gonzales in 1874. He later served as Gonzales District Attorney, a judge, and an inspector of the state prison system, and upon retirement from his legal career he purchased controlling interests in the town's four major utilities.
According to a website of the City of Gonzales, the house operates as a bed and breakfast but I can find no listing of it on the Internet in that regard.
Linking to GOOD FENCES hosted by TexWis.
NOTE: Yesterday my computer had a major stroke and actually died but after almost two hours of CPR, she was revived. Nonetheless, she will be admitted to the hospital this morning just as soon as I can link to GOOD FENCES, so we may not be able to visit for a couple of days. We have another computer but all the pictures are on this one. Please add us to your prayer list and just maybe after a rest and a transfusion she will be be okay.


20 comments:
Green would not have been my choice. It is a grand old place, though.
I like green. Good health to your computer. I'll see him/her/it on the other side. Soon I hope.
OH NO, not a dead computer. hope it was not the blue screen of death... and that she can be repaired... this is a beautiful house, and they will not get much business if they have no website. that said... I do NOT like the house all green, maybe just white with green trim and do not like green fence either... the house is wonderful but not appealing to me. but i am betting there will be others who like the green. my mother would.
I love looking at historic houses - but green... not working for me!
I have a sudden craving for mint ice cream. :-)
I love hearing the history of this house.
Good luck to you and your computer. I'll be hoping for a full recovery.
i linked you in! unique paint scheme, for sure!
good luck with the computer!
Hello Kathy, it is a pretty old house. I would like to stay in this B&B. And the green paint on the house and fence are not too bad. Sending my prayers for your computer! Enjoy your day!
I would choose white paint for this lovely home.
I'm not a big fan of green houses but this one is looking pretty nice in spite of the color.
I hope your PC is feeling better soon.
Well the green color is certainly unique. I don't mind it on the fence that much but having an entire house that shade of green (which is one of my favorite colors) just wouldn't be my cup of tea. I loved the comment from Sharon about having a craving for mint ice cream after seeing this. - It's a grand looking home with a very rich history for sure.
Too much green. Needs maybe trim of white. Beautiful house though.
I think at least the fence looks better in green when its around a green house. That wouldn't have been my choice of colour but I hope it made someone happy. Great house and interesting story.
I don't know that I would paint a house green.
They did a nice job with the green paint colors on the house, and the white trim. I would prefer a white fence, the green fence and the greenery behind it and then the green house are a bit much, for my taste, anyway. I'd love to see inside though!
A grand old house and fence.
The green on the fence works well, love the house! Hope your computer feels better soon.
She is a grand old lady in any color Kathy. Beautiful shot!
Green is not a good color for this grand home. It conflicts with the greenery surrounding it. I think a soft blue would've been nice.
Hope your computer has joined the land of the living now!
That green is an unusual choice for the building but I like the color.
Grand setting!
Have a great week ahead!
Historic house seem to grab just about everyone's attention. This would not be my first choice but I'd love to have the house despite its green color. But, aren't we all supposed to "go green?"
Post a Comment