Thursday, July 2, 2015
Bell County Courthouse (Texas No. 58)
Bell County Courthouse in Belton, Texas, was built in 1884 in the Renaissance Revival style. The following year the Fort Worth Daily Gazette reported "Among the many new courthouses built in the state during the past three years, the Bell County Courthouse surpasses all in beauty of design and elegance of finish." Constructed of a golden-hued stone mined from a local quarry, it suffered the same fate of many historic 19th century buildings during a renovation in the 1950s when its bell tower and clock were removed to effectuate a more modern look. In 1999 it underwent another restoration to return the courthouse to its former grandeur and the bell tower was rebuilt. Today the goddess Justice has resumed her rightful place on top of the tower.
Modern lightweight materials and modern engineering practices have allowed many of these buildings to be restored to their former condition. Although not my favorite courthouse, this is one of the most beautiful I've seen in my travels, although it sits on a rather small parcel of land relative to its size.
Belton is 60 miles north of Austin and 140 miles south of Dallas. Interstate 35 runs through the city. I had attempted to go to Belton three years before (almost to the day) but due to construction on the interstate, I decided to forgo the visit. I was quite surprised to find the same construction in the same place on this visit, although not as congested as it had been. My GPS failed in giving me proper directions and it was an absolute nightmare to get off the interstate and into town, to the hotel, out to dinner, back to the hotel since all the exits I was directed to take did not exist! I was very happy to leave Belton the next morning. I can't believe its citizens have put up with this mess for over three years.
This last trip during the second week of June was purely a courthouse trip. I am attempting to finish my courthouse series because there is a very good chance I will be leaving Texas in the fall. I hope so. I've loved my stay here but I am anxious to return to Arizona where my only remaining family is. I managed to photograph 12 courthouses on this trip and one more trip is scheduled probably this month. Living on the far eastern edge of the state I am hundreds of miles from most places that remain on my list. I've put thousands of miles on two vehicles in furtherance of this project and there are a couple out in far western Texas, almost a thousand miles from my home, that I'll probably never get to. Actually, when I return to Arizona, it will probably be closer to visit those towns then rather than where I am now!
So bear with me over the next couple of months while I'm in courthouse overload. I'll try to interperse a few things in between.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
It does have a stunning beauty to it.
moving to AZ sounds good to me, i have always wanted to visit there and tried a couple of time to get hubby to retire there, he is rooted in FL so no deal. will look forward to AZ photos
oh, i do hope you can return to arizona! i know your heart is there.
this is a grand one, kathy. sorry about all the dreadful traffic!
I don't know how I would choose a favorite. They are all so elaborate and pleasing to my eye. It's good that the tower was returned to this one. It sets it off so nicely.
This one has the wedding cake look to it! You've done an outstanding job of documenting all of these. I do hope you create a book out all this work. And, by the way, it will be great to have to back here in Arizona.
I did not realized you are doing a courthouse series. I don't mind as I get to see some interesting and beautiful buildings. This one is particularly beautiful. Love the last shot!
What a beautiful majestic buildings !!
Greetings
I love all the historic buildings you capture. Pretty amazing stuff and I can see why you focus on them.
Georgeous.
You have been so motivated about your courthouse project, and like Sharon, I do hope that this culminates in a book. You have already put in so much work and research! It'll be interesting to see what your lens finds to record in Arizona.
Post a Comment