Friday, January 23, 2015
Lion Mural - San Antonio
Way back when there was a business called The Lion Drugstore in San Antonio with a mural of a pride of lions. It was razed in 1970. But in 2000 Goodwill commissioned the "New Chapa Lion Mural" on the side of its building near the El Mercado to represent the growing community. The tile mosaic was created by San Antonio artist Jesse Trevino, a veteran who lost his hand in combat during the Vietnam War. The figures seen lifting the mural in place (including Trevino on the lower right) represent the Goodwill mission, "To help change lives through the power of work." I spotted this mural during a trolley ride on the way to visit the San Antonio missions and learned of its background through the Internet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
What a great mural!! I am a huge supporter of Goodwill because of their services. In additional to retail stores, the have many social services. My daughter is a social worker with Goodwill and I am impressed with the work they do.
really beautiful and he is a gifted artist..
This mural is quite beautiful and certainly one of nicest that I've ever seen. It looks like such a happy family of lions.
that is SO cool! the workers 'lifting the frame' into place make it so!
That's a beautiful mural--so interesting to incorporate workers in the process of hanging it. What a wonderful gift!
Really nice mural! I wish I could draw like that!
I love it.
At first I thought you had caught this while they were installing it. What a great mural. I like that they included the workers in it.
Post a Comment