Monday, June 2, 2014

Stone Faces (Hopkins County Courthouse - No. 16)

The last post on this blog of several days past was of the Veterans Memorial on the grounds of the Hopkins County Courthouse in Sulphur Springs, Texas.  One of the reasons for my revisiting Sulphur Springs was because when I first went there in May of 2012 the courthouse grounds were fenced off because of the construction of the memorial and also to make a few repairs to the building.  While I was preparing the post of May 6, 2012, and reviewing the research I had done on this grand structure I discovered I had totally forgotten to look for the faces that were carved on the courthouse.  I found them on this trip but it was no easy feat.  They are very difficult to see and I had no idea what they really looked like or if I had even captured them clearly until I was able to view the photos on my computer.  I think now is a perfect time to share these faces carved in sandstone with you.


Some surmise that artisan stone carvers who were employed in the original construction were simply given a bit of free rein to express their art.  Don't you find the eyes just a bit spooky?


I have no idea how many of these faces exist.  Perhaps these are the only ones. They are the only two I was able to spot.

If you have any interest in seeing the previous posts of the Hopkins County Courthouse, you will find them here and here.  Of the 39 historic courthouses I've visited in Texas it is, by far, my favorite.

10 comments:

Randy said...

You have to admire the person who created these.

TexWisGirl said...

that first one is AWFUL! i don't do spooky well! the 2nd one is much easier to take! :)

Paula said...

Very interesting.

biebkriebels said...

Amazing pictures, so beautiful carved out in the stone.

EG CameraGirl said...

How interesting that faces were carved in amongst the leaves, especially since they are hard to find. Is it a reminder that Big Brother may be watching us?

Amy Burzese said...

Another beautiful courthouse, or at least parts of one. These are wonderful.

Judy said...

That is interesting. I like this kind of whimsy and I'm sure there was a reason for them. I remember your previous post of this amazing building. It is one of the most elaborate that you have shown us.

Gail Dixon said...

Artistic for sure...and spooky...yes!

Kate said...

You did a splendid job of capturing the faces!

A Colorful World said...

They are wonderful! Yes, a bit spooky--especially the eyes. Such a different touch to a courthouse facade!