Thursday, June 12, 2014
What Is This Plant?
It was one of those slam on the brakes, U-turn moments as my peripheral vision caught a blur of brilliant red amongst the lush green, almost tropical foliage we enjoy here in East Texas as I zipped down a country road on my way to somewhere (going grocery shopping, visiting a declining aunt in a nearby nursing home, or any number of errands I find that take up my time these days). I had to travel about half a mile before I found a suitable place to turn around on this narrow, two-lane, winding and hilly thoroughfare to return to investigate this anomaly. Behind a gate on totally unimproved, unmarked property which didn't even have a road to enter it, sat this clump of fire. Luckily I had a pair of boots in the back or else I would have been reluctant to brave the knee-high grass, which surely had slithery creatures crawling through it, and the fallen, rotting tree trunk which was attempting to block my getting closer to that locked gate.
It seems vaguely familiar, like that word on the tip of your tongue that you can'r form on your lips until five minutes after the person you were explaining something to left the scene. This leafless beauty reminds me of something I might see at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, but a search of red-blooming desert plants yielded no clues and I'm still at a loss. Anyone with any ideas out there on what it is? It looks like nothing I've ever seen growing in this area, nor does the place where it grows appear to have ever had a house on it, so even after I discover what it is, I will still be wondering how it got here!
Thanks for your help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
coral bean! :) per my handy on-line texas wildflower index-by-color look-up. :)
I'm so glad you got an ID on it. Sure is pretty!
TexWis comes through again. Yee-haw!
Glad you found out what plant it is. It's really beautiful.
Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography
so glad Tex knew the name. we have it hear growing wild in Robinson Preserve but I did not know the name. it is beautiful... great find
I'm glad someone identified it. I was going to say Penstemon which was probably wrong.
It looks like something a hummingbird would like. I have never seen this plant or heard of coral bean but it is a beauty and I think I would have turned around too.
I'm not sure but I would have done a u-turn too.
Very pretty! Definitely worth turning around to get a photo of!
I bet that did get your attention. Glad you took some trouble to share it with us.
You were very determined! :-) And I am glad you were...great photos. I love wildflowers!
Post a Comment