Monday, March 4, 2013
Trip Aborted
I had planned to stop by the zoo in Lufkin, Tx, during a trip with a neighbor, but after arriving and getting my camera gear organized, I decided it was just too windy. I couldn't keep the hair out of my eyes, the wind was cold, it was turning out to be a miserable day. Plus I had been very ill the past three days, chills and fever, delirium, probably had no business being away from home and the hour plus drive was already taking its toll. I decided that baby giraffe would just have to wait to have its official Kathy portrait taken, but I was graced with this elegant great egret who landed just down the way from me in the lake by the zoo. I can't figure out the long tail feather so if any of you are the wiser, please fill me in. A search of Google Images show some birds with this appendage and some without. I found one discussion page but there were no answers. Any clues out there, bird fans?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I'm so sorry you've been sick, Kathy. Definitely the time of year for that, and I hope you are feeling all better now.
This is a beautiful bird, and your timing was just perfect here!
Oh, no. So sorry you've been sick. Stay in and recover. Then go get those giraffes!
i cannot believe you attempted an outing after 3 days of illness like that!
as for the egret, he's probably got his breeding plumes - which look terribly wet in this photo.
beautiful photo...feel better...I'm sure Tex knows what she's talking about...
My first thought was bet TexWisgirl knows. Sorry you aren't feeling well.
Hope you feel better soon Kathy! Don't get back to business too early after a really big flu.
Baby giraffe waits with growing...
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
I hope you feel better soon!
I would say you got an amazing shot in spite of it all. Take care!
beautiful shot, no clue about the extra thingy and sorry you are sick and missed the zoo... i will be waiting to see that baby
Birds in flight are always so beautiful and graceful.
Yes, they are breeding plumes...the ones the old fashioned ladies liked for their hats.
Get some rest and feel better!
I hope you are feeling better, Kathy!
I have never seen an egret with such a long feather.
What a beautiful shot this is! I hope you are feeling better now!
That is a great shot of the egret. I've tried many times to photograph one, but never got this close.
Post a Comment