Thursday, March 14, 2013
Cedar Waxwings
The cedar waxwings flew in last week for their annual vacation where they have a drunken good old time eating the berries off our red-tipped photinia bushes. These "bushes" are more like trees. Three of them grown in a solid row and measure about 10 feet high, 12 feet long and 6 feet wide. I don't think I would be exaggerating if I say they have hundreds of thousands of red berries on them in very early spring. Waxwings actually have a reputation of getting knocked-down dirty drunk from feasting on berries!
The photos are less than stellar because the lighting conditions were pretty horrible on both days we had these masked-bandit visitors. Two years ago there was a flock of about 20. I missed them last year because they were early and came in February while I was in Arizona. This year there were at least a hundred, if not more. You know they've arrived when you suddenly have tons of bird poop on your vehicles, your front steps, and the driveway! I think they've been gathering all their friends and relatives telling them that we have a berry buffet for their offering.
In a matter of two days all the berries were gone and so were the waxwings. But as long a we have berries, they'll be back next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




18 comments:
Wonderful drunks caught in mid-flight. hahahaha
I think the word "capture" is tossed around too loosely on photo blogs, but these really deserve it. They're cool birds and you do them justice.
Oh , how they must love you, but I think that some of them are a bit flighty!
so cool! i've not seen any pass through this year.
A beautiful bird!
I can vouch for the drunkards. I lived in NC for a while and they would come down and have a drunken good time eating fermented berries. I have a ornamental crabapple tree here, and before the snow is all gone, I have a tree full of Waxwings, Or Robins eating the berries. I don't think it gets hot enough long enough for the berries to ferment. They still like them though!
Jo
I love these birds. We rarely see them here but once in a while they show up. I can't imagine having that many all at once.
Love this series! Not only the birs are beautiful but also your captures are just great.
the first one he is so perfect he looks like he is made of wax.. and the fluttering wings are wonderful...
I will never forget the first one I saw.. simply beautiful. I almost didnt think it was real. They would come through during migration. It was always a windy cooler day and they would feast on my mulberry tree. I do so miss them as I am no longer there... thanks for the rememberance
Kathy, the photographs are priceless!!! And very beautiful. I have never seen such a bird. I am sure she is having drunken good time ( love this expression a lot). If you wouldn't mention about light I would never guess that light condition was not good. I like this light very, very much.
I really, really need to start watching birds more! Great shots!
Looks like a very well groomed bird. So beautiful.
I so look forward to their arrival.
Beautiful!
What wonderful birds. It must be fun to watch them.
I love these photos, they dont need to be perfect to tell the story.
This is such a beautiful bird. And I like your photos of them very much Kathy. Maybe they are not perfect but they are awesome.
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
What photos you captured! The movement!!!! Do they get drunk after eating the berries? Seems many birds around here get a bit intoxicated on the fruits...
Post a Comment