Monday, March 18, 2013

Chimp Haven


Baby Natalie with Flora, learning to get treats from the artificial termite mound 
on the grounds of Chimp Haven, 
a sanctuary for chimpanzees, most of whom spent their lives as research animals,  
near Shreveport, Louisiana.


Natalie at age seven months.  She was born on August 13 to Ginger, a 42-year-old mother.


Sixty percent of a chimp's diet is fruit.

I'm on another marathon work fest so I'll be posting some more photos 
from my weekend visit to Chimp Haven over the next few days as time allow.

19 comments:

Judy said...

These pictures are so amazing! Can't wait to see more. The baby is as cute as....well....a baby!

Randy said...

What a cutie.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful photos, Kathy! These chimps look healthy and loved.

In June, a local library group I belong to is hosting the author of a recent Canadian book about a similar sanctuary. I haven't read the book yet but plan to because a friend says it's enlightening.

TexWisGirl said...

flora's eyes are entrancing.

Beth said...

awesome pictures!

Kate said...

Learning life's lessons as an early age is a good idea for survival!

DeniseinVA said...

Brilliant photos! Those sweet faces are very heartwarming. Thanks for sharing them Kathy.

Jo's World said...

Baby Natalie examining her toes is just as cute as can be!

Jo

Amy Burzese said...

Such sweet faces. Hum. That's a lot of fruit. lol

MadSnapper n Beau said...

that first shot of mom and baby just touches my heart and the closeup of Natalie is awesome.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Baby Natalie is too cute!

Deb said...

what a fun place to visit...

Pia said...

I´m happy for this chimps that they are at a safe place now. Baby Nathalie is so cute!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Little Natalie is so cute! I love watching the chimps!

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh my goodness, Kathy, these are just adorable, and your photographs of them are wonderful!

A Colorful World said...

What sweet photos! I am SOOOO glad they have a haven for these chimps! They deserve a better life than the one they led for so long!

Anonymous said...

That sign is one of the best I've seen in a long time... swindle for an attorney.. love it!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! I just love this Chimp series and I'm glad they have some peace in the years to come.

Lara said...

These photos are fantastic! I'm glad you got to spend some time observing these amazing animals.