Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Parker County Courthouse (Texas No. 23)


Back in the 19th Century, the Texas legislature passed a law stating that an effort should be made to place the county seat of each county to within five miles of the geographic center of the county. The citizens of Weatherford took this as a challenge. Not only is their town in the center of their county but their courthouse is built over the exact center.

This second empire design is built of limestone and was restored in 2005 through the Texas Historical Commission's Courthouse Preservation Program.  This was the fourth courthouse for Parker County, the others having been constructed in 1856, 1858, and 1878.  Typically the first courthouses were simply log cabins or other temporary buildings until a proper structure could be built.  Later courthouses were usually destroyed by fire.  I've yet to find a courthouse in Texas that is the original.  The advent of fire safety in the late 1800s helped preserve many buildings.  Courthouses which were razed were demolished because of termite infestation or rot or simply because they were in such dilapidated condition that it was economically unfeasible to restore them.  The Texas Historical Commission often spends many millions of dollars in each of its restoration projects and all construction must be as close as possible to the original structure.

Weatherford is located 60 miles west of Dallas.
Population of Weatherford:  25,000
Population of Parker County:  117,000

16 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

beautiful, it looks more like a castle from Europe than a courthouse in Texas...

Suburban Girl said...

That red roof really makes that courthouse pop! It is one of my favorites!

Sharon said...

I love this one! I can't get over how elaborate some of these buildings are.

Judy said...

The red roof makes this on stand out. I bet you can see that tall tower from all over town.

TexWisGirl said...

this one is a BEAUTY!

Magpie said...

Oh, I like this one! It looks all dressed up compared to some of the other more stately looking ones.

Lois Evensen said...

What a gorgeous building!

Beth said...

A beautiful building!

DeniseinVA said...

Beautiful building Kathy.

Jo's World said...

To me, this looks like it could be the DisneyWorld courthouse! It is just beautiful and I am happy that Texas takes such good care of its courthouses.

If you haven't found an original courthouse, what is the oldest structure still standing?

Cheers,
Jo

Rosemary Aubut said...

Oh Kathy this is a beauty! Looks like a good clear day! Kind of looks like the Magic kingdom!i

Michelle said...

You do such a great job with architecture. I tried this awhile back with a bunch of historic homes, and I swear it looked like a drunken sailor got hold of my camera.
Everything was leaning and the angles were...let's just say "interesting."

Kate said...

Your courthouses are always so grand and your information is terrific.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Great photo of this grand and imposing edifice!

Pia said...

Hi Kathy,
if you publish a Courthouse Photobook one day I will buy it!
Liebe Grüße,
Pia

A Colorful World said...

This one is AMAZING also!