Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Galveston Ghost Sign


I found this wonderful multitasking ghost sign on my trip to Galveston this past summer.  It has at least three advertisements painted on it, Coca-Cola (which appears to have been refreshed lately) the E. Dulitz Furniture Store, Spearmint Gum and perhaps even more.  This building predates the 1900 Galveston Hurricane which stands today as our nation's most deadly disaster with between six and twelve thousand lives lost.  Galveston has withstood several other major hurricanes in the intervening years, but this 129-year-old structure has served generations of Galvestonians as a downtown business establishment.  For over 100 years the building was an active furniture store.  It was heavily damaged in the 1900 storm but Mr. Dulitz was able to make repairs and moved his furniture business into the location in November of 1901, just 13 months after the hurricane.  I took this photograph in July and read the book entitled Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson just last week, gaining a new insight to the many historical structures which have withstood the test of tropical hurricanes along the Texas Gulf of Mexico coast.

Joining others who love fascinating signs at Signs, Signs


21 comments:

Photo Cache said...

always lovely to see old signs.

Gemma Mira Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

These layered ghost signs are almost like a virtual archaeological dig! Fascinating!

Andy said...

Gum goes better with coke.

Four-eyed-missy said...

I agree with Gemma about layered signs. They are fascinating! I like the newly touched up Coke sign - looks retro-vintage :)


Inside Cambodia

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love this. I hope they don't remover the signs.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You get a prize for the most interesting thing I learned from Signs Signs entries this week. I love ghost signs and it is amazing that this one survived that horrible disaster. Thanks for the information about that book; I am going to look it up.

Lesley said...

I love ghost signs. it is neat that you were able to read up on some of the history. many of the ghost signs I find are just that - ghosts.

Amy Burzese said...

Now this is a wonderful ghost sign and old building. For some reason, I especially like the Uneeda ads.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i hope they leave this beautiful piece of history alone. and this makes me sad because i remember when i bought a coke and paid five cents for it... oh noooo.
i have found several things in the past month about Florida history i did not know. just think of all the sights this building has seen

Beth said...

A very interesting piece of history. Great sign.

TexWisGirl said...

that's a busy old wall. neat history that it has withstood so much.

Sharon said...

That wall must be in a good spot for advertising. I don't know much about the 1900 hurricane but the numbers of lives lost says it all. That must have been a devastating storm.

Judy said...

You hit the ghost sign jackpot on this one! I love Galveston. The story of the hurricane always sends shivers up my back.

Anonymous said...

Love the ghost signs. I recently saw a Coke ad on a building but have never seen the "ghost" ads showing through! Very interesting.

genie said...

Love this sign. We lost family member in that awful storm. My daddy talked about it al of his life. I have never heard of a ghost sign, but that is a wonderful name. genie

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a neat sign and history behind the building!

RedPat said...

This wall is a wonder! I love ghost signs and this has to be one of the best finds in a long time.

Randy said...

That's a nice one.

Pia said...

It´s alway nice to see this ghost signs. Of course I know Coca Cola and Wrigley´s, but now I also know the story of the Dulitz Furniture Store. Thanks for sharing so many informations!

EG CameraGirl said...

Coke for 5 cents? WOW! That was a long, long time ago.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Nice to know someone had the interest to update the paint on the Coca Cola mural- wish they had brightened the package of Wrigley's gum at the same time. Cool.