Thursday, September 27, 2012
Hill County Courthouse (Texas No. 25)
When I went on my last courthouse hunting trip, I had not read the history of the Hill County Courthouse in Hillsboro, Texas. In fact, I didn't know anything about this courthouse - other than the fact that it was beautiful - until tonight when I went on line to find some facts to include in this post.
On the night of January 1, 1993, the 1890 Hill County Courthouse was virtually destroyed by fire. Not even firefighters from more than 15 companies could save it. The grand clock tower, the roof, and the third floor collapsed as onlookers cried. The impressive district courtroom was gone and records dating back more than a century were either lost or badly damaged. All that remained of the stately building were the four limestone walls and the interior metal staircases.
Restoration architects had little to refer to in an attempting to re-create the courthouse's past grandeur. Since there were no blueprints, they looked at the original architect's nearby courthouse designs in Granbury and Weatherford and interviewed those who worked in the courthouse to get their impressions and memories.
Seven years and many millions of dollars later, this beautiful building was completely rebuilt to its original splendor. Help from community members, including Hill County native Willie Nelson, and funding from the Texas Courthouse Alliance made this possible.
When originally constructed in 1890, the architectural style was pretty much a Texas hodgepodge of Second Empire, Classical Revival and Italianate features. A writer for the Saturday Evening Post called it a monstrosity, while another at Harper's said it was an outstanding cathedral.
The massive three-story limestone structure has two-story Corinthian columns, mansard roofs, and a tower in the middle that is seven stories tall. Of the clock tower, the locals say that even if you are miles away, you can still tell when it's time to feed the dog!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




18 comments:
Beautiful building and what an amazing history; it's wonderful that people pulled together to re-construct it.
Oh my, this is beautiful. I vote for outstanding cathedral!
it looks like a castle or a cathedral more than a courthouse, and it is hard to believe it is new and not hundreds of years old. they did a fantastic job of rebuilding it.
It is spectacular! Thank you for sharing the images and the story. Just fascinating and what pride the residents must have for their community.
Simply gorgeous. I can see why citizens insisted on it being rebuilt. It really is a stunning building. What a job that must have been.
This impressive building has quite a story. I would have cried to see it burned too. I'm so glad it could be restored. It must have been a massive job.
it has huge 'wow' factor. they did an impressive job restoring/rebuilding/recreating it!
Awesome photos!
Holy cow...you have some impressive buildings in Texas!!!
Beautiful courthouse. I wonder how long it took them to rebuild it. I would think several years with everything. I bet it was a grand opening day.
My goodness, the architecture on Texas courthouse is truly amazing! Each one seems to get better.
I like the tall windows.
Great building but an even greater backstory. I'm proud of the residents for going the extra mile and rebuilding it.
You and Sharon on the wavelength today with your cupola clocks.
A fascinating history for an unusual looking building.
Hi Kathy!
You are such a successful courthouse hunter!
What a disaster must this fire have been to Hillsboro. Good they could effort to rebuild this beautiful building.
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
I think it's amazing they were able to recreate it without the actual blueprints.
Hill County really deserves praise for rebuilding this beautiful courthouse. A project of this size and this expense really had to have the support of the whole community to be a success. So cheers to the re-builders! Its a beauty!
Jo
Post a Comment