I always get these confused with walking sticks. They both creep me out because I was told when I was a kid that walking sticks were poisonous and that always stuck with me!
We love Praying Mantises (plural?). My husband convinced me that they are good and I no longer believe that they spit in your face and blind you. lol. We search them out in the bushes. There will be hundreds of tiny, tiny ones.
Wow Kathy, you did a wonderful portrait of this Primoballerino! Is he native to your place. He is not native here but my friend found one in her garden this year where he was the star for one day :-)
I am a retired court reporter now working part time as a proofreader. In December 2010 I returned to my roots in Deep East Texas to care for my aging mother after having lived in Arizona for over 30 years. I live on a farm in Nacogdoches County near the Louisiana border. This blog is a repository for pictures of subjects that I find interesting in my travels up and down the country roads throughout the Piney Woods. I love to take pictures of farm animals and equipment, old houses, barns and sheds and anything that has vines or rust on it.
21 comments:
These are supposed to be one of the "good bugs" but, they do creep me out whenever I encounter one.
I don't find these as creepy as other bugs - but they're still not something I want to hang around for long!
I love these, and walking stick bugs!
I have 5 brothers so had to get over my fear of 'creepy crawlies' long, long ago.
They are fascinating, it is interesting how the lower section of its leg is so much greener.
he could be the model for the next FEAR thriller movie. i imagine his as tall as a skyscraper. yikes
He is creepy but cute!
Handsome critter and a great help in the garden. :)
Great shot. Now if he had some tulips to tip toe through. :0)
What a fantastic macro this is, Kathy!
What a nice pose he struck for you!
This is one I am usually able to photograph because they sit still long enough for me. ;) Nice shot!
They look alien! I understand that the female makes a meal out of her mate. Yeah, that's creepy.
In some areas he is known as the
"preying" mantis due to predatory ways.
The only insect I really love is the dragon fly that eats mosquitos, now thats a useful critter!
Great photo, though!
Jo
Creepy but interesting. I love how they can swivel their head.
What's he standing on? Looks like ice. He's a cutie.
Such a mysterious critter. Loved to catch em in jars.
Wow Kathy tis is a great capture! Don't see many of these anymore! Great pose!
If he wants to keep his head he'd better stay away from the females.
I always get these confused with walking sticks. They both creep me out because I was told when I was a kid that walking sticks were poisonous and that always stuck with me!
We love Praying Mantises (plural?). My husband convinced me that they are good and I no longer believe that they spit in your face and blind you. lol. We search them out in the bushes. There will be hundreds of tiny, tiny ones.
Wow Kathy, you did a wonderful portrait of this Primoballerino! Is he native to your place.
He is not native here but my friend found one in her garden this year where he was the star for one day :-)
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment