Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Ghost Signs of Hico


This sign featuring a monkey hanging from a bar advertises Hooper's Tetteremedy, an anti-itch powder.


This building's north wall is long enough for two ghost signs.


Coca-Cola must hold the record for early-day ghost signs.


But Dr. Pepper is also VERY BIG in Texas.


Hico (pronounced HIGH-koe), Texas, boasts several great ghost signs which are kept in tip-top shape by the town of 1,400 residents 100 miles southwest of Dallas.  It also claims to be the "retirement home" of Billy the Kid, who local folklore claims survived the gunfight with Pat Garrett in New Mexico and isn't really buried there.  In these parts people believe that the Kid escaped to Hico and lived here in the early 1900s under the name of  Brushy Bill Roberts.  But more about Billy the Kid, aka Brushy Bill, on another day.  The town has a chocolate store, a cafe which is well-known for chicken fried steak and coconut cream pie (I was through Hico about 8 a.m. so I didn't have the opportunity to indulge) and is a favorite riding destination for motorcycle enthusiasts.  In fact, before arriving in Hico, I had stopped in another little town called Meridian to get gas and ice, and four motorcyclists had stopped at the same station/convenience store.  One of them yelled a "Good Morning" to me and I returned the greeting and asked where their ride was taking them this fine morning.  A resounding "Hico!"  I chimed, "Me too!  See ya there!"

18 comments:

Jo's World said...

The ghost signs are wonderful and they are maintained very nicely too.

Thanks for the history, Kathy, thats a favorite part of the picture for me!

Cheers,
Jo

Jo's World said...

The ghost signs are wonderful and they are maintained very nicely too.

Thanks for the history, Kathy, thats a favorite part of the picture for me!

Cheers,
Jo

Sherry said...

You should visit Meridian area again in the spring - the State has planted many wildflowers along the highway & they are beautiful. Also in Meridian - Meridian State Park - CCC structure & beautiful scenery. Hico is an interesting little town (we go through that area on a semi-regular basis to visit family) - Hamilton also has a town square.

Amy Burzese said...

Love ghost signs. You found many great ones. You post so many things that I love!

TexWisGirl said...

these are great! love meeting friendly folks in this state!

Brenda's Arizona said...

Pretty cool signs! and the history of HIGH-KOE is cool, too!

Magpie said...

I'm beginning to have an eye for finding these ghost signs. Just need to get out more. I love how you interact with people on the road.

Sharon said...

When I got my very first on-the-road consulting assignment in St. Louis, I'd say that about 75% of that project team was from Texas. It seemed like every single one of them drank Dr. Pepper. I don't think I had ever even tasted it before then.
Today, I work with one man who grew up in Texas and come to think of it, he is always drinking Dr. Pepper too and is the only one in the office who does! So, when you say "VERY BIG" in Texas, you aren't just kidding.

Beth said...

Great signs!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shots of those old signs!

Michelle said...

I love that the town keeps these cool signs in tip top shape. It is just a little piece of small town americana you don't see very often.

Judy said...

That is a nice collection of ghost signs and I enjoyed the history.

Randy said...

These are great. I like the first one.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful Kathy, you captured some really beautiful old signs there.

Kate said...

And, did you see these new friends when you hit town? The sign with the monkey is amusing. The rest are a fascinating reflection of what was important at some point in time, and even up to the present in some cases. Dr. Pepper doesn't appeal to me but still love Coca Cola and I'm a "hard core" drinker of the real stuff.

Pia said...

The ghost signs are so wonderful. So funny the one with the monkey.
Have you met your new friends again?

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm a big fan of the the signs painted on bricks. Are they still ghost signs if they have been renewed? Just wondering and it doesn't really matter as I still love them!

So, did you ever see the bikers again?

MadSnapper n Beau said...

these are all really cool, glad you sent me here. i love the buildings and the signs