Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bosque County Courthouse (Texas No. 22)


Before you get too engrossed, I must tell you that, once again, the Texas pronunciation fairy strikes.  I've given you Texas pronunciation lessons many times in the past (i.e., Italy is it-LEE, Hico is HIGH-koe and on and on).  You might think that the only way to pronounce Bosque would be "bosk."  Not so, dear friends.  It's pronounced boss-kee!  Who woulda thunk it?

Speaking of Hico (scroll down to the August 16 post) you may remember that I mentioned having been greeted in Meridian by two pair of motorcyclists on their way to Hico.  Several of you asked if I met up with them once there.  Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately as the case may be, I did not, because after gassing up I had to stop in town to photograph this beauty.  It is indeed an imposing sight as you come into town, perched on a hilltop towering above the tallest of the two-story buildings.


This beautiful structure has a wonderful and somewhat convoluted history, including being built with a clock tower, having the clock tower removed n the 1930s and then rebuilt in the 2007 renovation.  The courthouse is built of native limestone quarried nearby.  I love that lone star between the clock and Lady Justice.  And by the way, the time on the clock was accurate (not a first in my courthouse visits but most of the clocks I've seen have been inoperable).  I managed to get to Meridian by 8:30 a.m., having left Hillsboro before dawn and visiting another courthouse before arriving in Meridian.


I think it's wonderful that a replica of the original clock tower was rebuilt.  I don't know if the original building has this statue of Justice, but she is the perfect adornment to this Gothic Renaissance beauty.

If you're interested in a brief history of the courthouse, its predecessor structures, the political squabbles which developed over the construction of the $60,000 building (that is not a typo, but remember it was 1886) and how Bosque County got its name, you can find it at this link

Meridian, Texas, county seat of Bosque County - population 1,500
Bosque County - population 18,000
Meridian is located 90 miles south of Dallas

21 comments:

Mari said...

Thanks for the pronunciation lesson! It's a beautiful building!

Randy said...

Nice clock tower.

Kate said...

You could write a book about the court houses in Texas. Great photos with relevant facts and important history.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

6 lawyers in the family, I don't want to be a judge.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this is a real beauty and thanks for pointing out the star, i had to look again. i have a friend with last name Bayles... pronounced Bay Less... my last name at one time many moons ago was Geis... not Geese but GICE is the way to say it.

Sharon said...

The first thing that struck me when I saw the top photo was that it made me think of the movie "Back to the Future". It really is a beautiful building.
I knew those Texans had a language all their own. When I worked a project in St. Louis, 75 percent of the project team were from Texas. One the guys on the team who lived in St. Louis put up a sign in his cube that said "no Texan spoken here".

TexWisGirl said...

the clock tower is great. glad they rebuilt it, but i LOVE that top shot of the entire building. wow!

Jo's World said...

This might be my favorite courthouse so far. The limestone, the huge windows, clock tower, lady justice, I'd love to see the inside! Could you arrange a tour for us now that we all know how to pronouce Basque correctly (lol)!

Your pix are just great.

Cheers,

Jo

Judy said...

This is such an imposing building. If I were to have to go to court in this building, just the sight of it would get my heart racing. I can just imagine the stories that have played out inside those walls.

Birdman said...

Quite a different shot then one of your tumbling down gas stations on a lonely road somewhere west of Somewhere, TX.

Beth said...

A very beautiful building. Thanks for the pronunciation lesson. ;-)

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

That is a magnificent building, Kathy. I like the close ups too.

Amy Burzese said...

This is a beautiful one. I would love to see it in person.

Halcyon said...

I don't mind the pronunciations. In fact, I find them rather endearing (having half of my family from Texas).
This is a lovely building. Glad you stopped by to get a shot of it!

Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite one yet.

Magpie said...

This is a gorgeous building. I will have to ask Nicole if they offer "Texas" as a second language at her school. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

The courthouse is very attractive and I can see why you were late so didn't get to meet up with the motorcycle guys. :)

Michelle said...

Wonderful photos, Kathy. Angles are hard to get right, and you nail them every time.

Suburban Girl said...

Beautiful architecture.

Suburban Girl said...

Beautiful architecture.

Pia said...

Another very nice courthouse, wonderful shots of the clock tower and -as always- interesting informations. Thanks for sharing!