Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Collin County Courthouse (Texas No. 21)


The Collin County Courthouse in McKinney wasn't even on my list of beautiful Texas courthouses but since I was in the area, I felt compelled to take a picture!  I'm pretty pleased with how it came out and maybe its beauty will eventually grow on me.  Believe it or not this courthouse was built in 1874, but by the 1920s it was crumbling, leaking, had hundreds of sparrows and pigeons in its two towers and the choice was either tear it down or fix it.  It was fixed and reconstructed in 1927 but it underwent a surgeon's scalpel that shaved off its two towers and created what I call the big box shape of 1920s architecture.  It is no longer functioning as the hub of county government but is now a performing arts center in McKinney's very vibrant downtown area.

McKinney population:  131,000 (the 19th largest city in the state)
Collin County population:  782,000 (one of the fastest growing areas in Texas)

McKinney is located 30 miles northeast of Dallas.

12 comments:

Randy said...

I like the columns on the upper level.

Beth said...

Very nice photo. The court house is impressive!

Judy said...

Nice looking and I'm glad it is still being used and cared for. The composition of this photo is pleasing.

The hat was a window decoration in a store downtown. I'm not sure who would wear it.

TexWisGirl said...

that's a fine photograph!

Jo's World said...

I like the looks of this courthouse. Especially the big front doors, and that they have painted the outdoor bench in the same color as the building. No Garish Green or other outdoorsy thing.

Jo

Magpie said...

I think it has a stark kind of beauty. What an interesting story of its history though.

Kim, USA said...

Beautiful building! ^_^

Amy Burzese said...

I think it's a great old building.

Sharon said...

That's what I would call a solid building, not overly attractive but very serviceable.

Anonymous said...

What a stately looking structure!

Kate said...

It may look stolid and solid, but it has a very attractive facade.

Pia said...

Good that they fixed this building and did not tear it down. You would have missed a wonderful photo in your collection.