Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Country Doctor


Last year this statue was erected on the grounds of Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital 
as a tribute to the country doctors who so tirelessly and selflessly, 
often without pay other than maybe a chicken or a dozen eggs, 
served the many residents of rural areas such as here in East Texas.


The life-sized bronze statue is modeled after Dr. George F. Middlebrook, Sr., 
who practiced in Nacogdoches County from 1911 to 1961.


I love how the artist included Doc's black bag and his stethoscope in his coat pocket!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Not many of those types of doctors around anymore.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

the detail in this statue is amazing and the artist has great talent. i like the bag. it looks like i could open it. to bad the docs aren't dedicated today like these type were.

Kate said...

Terrific sculpture and great memorial. Too bad that most of them are probably gone and unable to see this.

Amy Burzese said...

That really is a great statue. Looks like quality work. And it's more interesting to me because it is of a time that I can better relate too.

Judy said...

This is a great statue to have at a hospital. I can remember when the doctor came to the house when I was young.
Our hospital has a life size statue of a bucking bull on the grounds. I guess many a cowboy spent time there after being foolish enough to try to ride one.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that is cool! a real hero.

Beth said...

Awesome statue. Sad to say many doctors have developed a god complex. Not at all like the days when the doctors really cared and took time with their patients. They are just too busy now.

Jo's World said...

I love to see that the artist made this Doc "moving" (walking). He had to keep moving to do all that he needed to do! Great sculpture!

Sorry to hear so many have little faith in their Docs, I am lucky enough to have three terrific ones!

Jo

Randy said...

Nice looking sculpture.

Lois Evensen said...

We haven't been to Nacogdoches for a few years since we aren't sailing out of the Port of Galveston any more. We just love that oldest town in TX and all the lovely people there. Great post!

EG CameraGirl said...

The sculptor did a marvelous job here! WOW! Wonderful tribute to they way doctors used to be.

Sharon said...

This is a great statue and well deserved by those hard working doctors. For some reason it made me think of Doc Martin, the PBS series. Ever see that show? Brilliant doctor, horrible bedside manner.

Magpie said...

What a nice tribute! They were a dedicated and tireless breed.

Pia said...

I also like the details the artist worked out on this statue. This doctor must have been an idealist.

Suburban Girl said...

I like THAT kind of medicine!

Roan said...

What a wonderful tribute! I'm aging myself when I say, I remember the doctor coming to our house when I was a little girl. Too bad we don't have that kind of care these days. There are a lot of elderly around here who could benefit from a home visit.