So here goes with one of the better courthouse shots. I did manage to add 16, a few of which weren't on my historic beauties list but since I was there, why not. I'll be featuring the others on this blog in the weeks and months to come.
Navarro County Courthouse
Corsicana, Texas
1905 Beaux-Arts Architecture
Courthouse Tower and a Call to Arms sculpture in recognition of the Navarro County citizens who served during the Civil War.
I heard a discussion recently from people who are offended that so many courthouses in the South have Confederate memorials. I do not believe that recognizing those who have served in any war is disrespectful. I know of no one who has ever condoned slavery but the civil war which tore our nation apart is a part of our past and should not be forgotten. Soldiers from both sides served to protect their homelands and their families. At least here in Texas I see many courthouses which are reconstructing their veterans memorials to honor all veterans, not just those who served during one particular conflict.
Jose Antonio Navarro
Namesake of Navarro County
(1795 - 1871)
Navarro was the most influential Tejano of his generation.
He championed Texas independence from Mexico, then fought for the rights
of Tejanos as citizens of the Republic of Texas and the United States. The county seat of Corsicana was named for his father's homeland, the Isle of Corsica. If you're interested, this man's fascinating history can be found at the website of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
A monument to the firefighters of the Corsicana Fire Department is also found on the courthouse grounds.
Corsicana is 45 miles southeast of Dallas and 160 miles northeast of Austin. It has a population of 24,000, while the population of Navarro County is 48,000.





17 comments:
i really should get down that way sometime!
sorry about the heat, the harsh light and a few snafus, but glad you felt good about the break, anyway!
Way back when the earth's mantle was just cooling off I built pipelines all over Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. I haphazardly started taking photos of all the courthouses I came across. Of course they are just random shots and I can't tell just what is what.
I don't think people should get upset about the memorials to the Civil war soldiers who fought for the south. As you say, they were fighting for their country as well and were just as brave as the Union troops.
Glad you had a nice time away.
These photos look good. I love the old, historic courthouses.
I sure am glad in spite of the heat, the light and your disappointing photos that your attitude has improved. :)) I'm so sorry I laughed when I read that but - honestly - I do think I know what you mean. Being by yourself for a few days can be very healing in spite of the problems faced along the way.
Truth be told, I have had a few bad camera days lately too. What's with that?
Did you just celebrate a birthday lately? I think you did so don't try to fool me. Happy birthday! :))
I think the photos are all very good!
If you are talking to rookie photogs like me, you have nothing to be upset about at all. That old courthouse looked lovely with the trees on the campus. Mr. Navarro had a very nice statue too.
Keep your sunny side up, and put your PhotoShop to work!
Cheers,
Jo
Kathy, I think that you are being far too hard on yourself. Your photos are always a pleasure to view, and the history you add to so many adds to the overall effect. Good job!!
I like all your photos and I love the history you love so much and share with us. I agree with your sentiments about Veterans...regardless of the war or "conflict". :)
How wonderful for you to take this all on by yourself! What courage and your photos look great in spite of your disappointment! The heat and humidity has been terrible here as well!
I'm sure you can get many good photos out of your trip. So many good lessons can be learned from history. That is one way we improve the future.
you are a brave person, i would not be comfy going away by myself. and now i am dying to hear the story about being locked in your room, i can understand locked out, but IN? please tell the story. glad you got these pics. and i fully understand the having to edit the photos to use them, most things can be fixed but i dont like the fixing of them. glad yu are home safe and had a good time
I agree with Kate about your photos. These are wonderful.
Interesting and rich history here. I love the clock tower on top and those statues are great.
Another great building. I like all the statues especially the one for the firefighters. I can't tell you how many pictures I have with that washed out white sky that you mentioned. It's just too darned hot!
I think your photos are great but I know what you mean about the sun. It's one reason why I am so uninspired lately too bright and too hot. But I do want to hear the story about getting locked IN your hotel room! LOL
Hi Kathy!
Good to read you enjoyed your trip although you had some adventures to survive....
I like the photos and your informations. Best we can do is learning from history.
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment