Friday, August 17, 2012

From Hornets to Bridges

My road trip last week in search of beautiful courthouses first took me southwest of my home 150 miles.  I was a little disappointed in the first specimen and the cloudless gray steel gray sky but I had had a nice drive and was looking forward to some real beauties coming up before the end of the day.  After stopping for 15 or so minutes I got back in Truck and off we went, heading north to where I knew we were going to hit the jackpot.  I got about five miles out of town and noticed that there was a yellow jacket - or a hornet - I'm not sure I know the difference; I just know I'm supposed to be deadly allergic to stings from these things and I carry an Epi-Pen with me - that was sitting on the dashboard.  I'm not the type to panic but I was a bit concerned.  Especially when he started flying around all over the cab.  He finally landed over by the passenger window about the time I hit an area that had an adequate shoulder that allowed me to pull over.  I don't have automatic windows in my truck (that's the last time I make that mistake!) so I had to get out, take the key, go over to the passenger door, unlock it, all the while hoping this critter would fly right out and find some friends that were a lot smaller than me.  No such luck.   He flew right over to the driver's window.  So back I go, open the driver's door, and the sucker has vanished.  I mean evaporated into thin air.  I opened the driver's rear door, moved everything around in the back seat hoping to flush him out.  Nothing.  Back to the passenger side.  Front door, back door, no buzzing bugger.  Knowing I couldn't just sit on the side of the road for the rest of the day there was no choice but to get back in and head out.  I drove with my window down for about five miles and decided that wasn't going to work, so I started looking for another place to pull over.  I finally took a right on a county road because there was virtually no shoulder in this area and I was uncertain of the surface of the ground I'd be pulling onto if I just got off the pavement.  I drove down this little road a piece, and look what I found!


A little one-lane truss bridge over the beautiful Navasota River!



I never found the hornet.  Maybe he got sucked into the air conditioning vent and suffered a death by Freon.  Maybe he's still wandering around in there somewhere.  I never saw him again but I silently thanked him for being the cause of making me go down this little traveled road!

14 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

How quaint. Sounds like you are Ok with it, so I'll say that I'm glad he led you to this bridge. It's a great one!

Kate said...

Hornet must have been faster than a speeding bullet...glad he decided to high tail it out of your range.
The bridge looks like it leads to a sweet little area.

Jo's World said...

Sometimes we find the very best things when we are looking for something else!

Wonderful little bridge!

Jo

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

You never know what you will find went your wonder down those back roads. You found a great one!

TexWisGirl said...

i'm grateful to your little co-pilot, also! what a great rusty bridge! reminds me of a bridge near my childhood home that we'd bike down to almost every day. :)

(p.s. thanks for the i.d. on the cattle! i added that to the post and gave you credit!)

Judy said...

Sometimes those little unplanned side trips lead to something unusual. Looks like this one did. I'm glad the big bee didn't sting.

Sharon said...

What a nice surprise even if there were some heart-pounding moments taking you there.
You have a great memory, you are so right. The mask was called "Falling Waters".

Paula said...

A little "scare" can lead you to the neatest places.

Pia said...

You found a nice old bridge. Would like to know what else is to find down this road.
Would also know what happened to your yellow passenger....

Magpie said...

I always tell this to both Tracy and Annie - we find the loveliest things when we make what others would call wrong turns or mistakes. There are no mistakes when traveling and doing what you love...unless, of course, you're stung by a hornet. :) But see, that didn't happen.

Kranky Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kranky Granny said...

That little hornet gave you some great photos and a humerous story so I would say you got the best of the deal considering you also avoided having to use your epi-pen.

EG CameraGirl said...

Well, that sure was a tale that ended well. :)

Lara said...

Scary! But so sweet! Some great pics!