Sunday, August 26, 2012

Brazos Drive-In (And a Warning)


A couple years ago I read that drive-in theaters were making a comeback.  I had yet to actually see one until my road trip a couple weeks ago in search of historic courthouses in North Central Texas, but as I drove into the small town of Granbury I passed the Brazos.  Although the sun was shining and it looked a little old, it was very obvious that this was a real live operating drive-in theater!  In fact, in was showing two first-run movies, the Bourne Legacy, which had its box office premier just two days before, and Men in Black 3.  Having come of age in the 1960s, all I have to say is:  Mothers, DO NOT let your daughters go on dates to drive-in theaters!

16 comments:

Paula said...

Had lots of them in the 50's in San Antonio. The last one was The Mission near San Jose Mission. I lived very near there for 31 years. Not the best part of town but loads of history.

Rosemary Aubut said...

Wow haven't seen one of these in years! But I sure remember those days!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

amen to that, that is where i went on most of my dates, it was only 50 cents each or 1.00 for a car load, my friend would get her dad's car and 5 of us would pool our pennies and take our own popcorn and koolaid and get to see 2 movies.

Jill said...

I burst out laughing at your warning!

I so wish the drive in would return here.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Those were the good ole days! I laughed at your warning. I wish they would make a comeback.

Judy said...

I have many fond memories of the drive in theater in my home town in Illinois. ;)

Magpie said...

I have several fond and some crazy memories of drive-ins. :)

TexWisGirl said...

i am laughing at your advice. :)

Sharon said...

Like my sister, I have memories of going to drive-ins in Quincy. Once I moved to Arizona, I think I only went once.

Beth said...

I remember the drivein from when I was dating. What fun. I remember the last movie I saw at a drivein was Bad Day at Black Rock. Google that and you will find out how long ago that has been lol.
A new drivein movie just opened up close by me at Peoria. So far it has been a big hit.

EG CameraGirl said...

Tee hee! Do you have something you'd like to confess? :)

Randy said...

I miss drive ins.

Michelle said...

Lol about the warning. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Good advice. I think the first time I ever imbibed a little too much alcohol was at the Drive In. I bet I drank a whole 16 punches of beer. LOL.

Suburban Girl said...

haha! No it is better as a family movie night than a date night for sure.

Pia said...

You make me laugh Kathy!