Friday, August 24, 2012

Ben Wheeler's Famous Sign


Ben Wheeler is a tiny unincorporated community in VanZandt County near Canton in East Texas.  This iconic sign has been published in many Texas magazines and is one of the more well-known ghost signs in the state.  The portion of the sign which is not visible advertises Moon Pies.  The day I went through Ben Wheeler, for the express purpose of finding this sign, some yo-yo had his car pulled up in front of the sign and was working on the car, hood up, radio blasting, the works, so I was unable to get a picture of the entire sign.  Maybe next time.

17 comments:

Randy said...

Now I am craving a Moon Pie!

Birdman said...

A classic shot from the past. I'll go with the RCC!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i am with Randy on the moon pie, wish i had one, it has been about 40 years since i had one.

Beth said...

I love moon pies and I sure do remember RC Cola. Great photo.

Jo's World said...

The South seems to be full of stories of people who worked all day on a Moon Pie and a RC! This is a great sign, though, and I am glad Texas keeps their ghost signs readable!

Jo

TexWisGirl said...

that is too cute - and classic!

you're really getting closer to my area, now...

Sharon said...

Moon Pies and Royal Crown Cola. I remember when I could eat like that.

Judy said...

That is a great old sign! What ever happened to Royal Crown Cola? I haven't seen it in a long time. Of course I haven't been looking for it either. I had to laugh at the story of the car in front of the sign. That is the case for me, more often than not.

EG CameraGirl said...

Great sign. Yeah, I hear you about yo-yos getting in the way of a great photo op! :))

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

What a great sign, Kathy! I like old-fashioned signs like this.

Amy Burzese said...

This is a GREAT sign. The colors are wonderful. You know everytime I point the camera at something great, someone drives up or walks up. It happened many times this weekend. Once, I just stood there with the camers staring at two men. One finally saw me and they moved.

Rosemary Aubut said...

Great post Kathy! Love them all!

Anonymous said...

You know I don't think I have ever had a moon pie.

Magpie said...

As a kid, I remember loving moon pies. As an adult, I tried one and about gagged. Obviously, I've lost my childhood palette. But I do love RC Cola! Goes great with rum...guess that's not a childhood palette item either. :)

Suburban Girl said...

Mmmm, yummy to whatever that chocolate thing he has.

Lara said...

Way cool. You will have to go back!

Pia said...

Sorry for the parking car Kathy... this is a wonderful sign. Hope you can go back for the whole photo soon.