Friday, November 18, 2011

Syrup Festival ~ Vol. 5 ~ Random Shots

Thanks to Magpie (at In Over My Head) for giving me the idea of including a group of random shots.  
Thanks for coming along with me to the Heritage Syrup Festival.  I had a great time.  Hope you did too!


A little girl approximately two years old decided to join one of the Indian dancers.  
She got a round of applause at the end of her performance.



Lunch for me was a plate of catfish, hush puppies and twisted taters!
How do they make those twisted taters anyway?


With a Black and Decker drill, that's how!


You could buy ribbon cane syrup in bottles or in old-fashioned cans.
The prices ranged from $6 to $10.
One of my grandpas had a syrup mill and made ribbon cane syrup back in the 1920s.
He made about 300 gallons per season and sold it for
50 cents a gallon!


Just because you're a mounted deputy-ess
it doesn't mean you can't have a nice manicure.
This deputy's horse was featured in the first day of posts on the Syrup Festival.

And although by far from being the best picture,
this next one has to be my favorite.


Like big brother, like little brother!
Is that just too cute or what!

14 comments:

Randy said...

The food looks marvelous! I would have loved to have been there.

jabblog said...

A syrup festival - how unusual.
I love your photos of the children.The little girl had fun and it looks as though the little boys in their matching sweaters might have been watching her.

Sharon said...

That last photo brought a huge smile to my face. What cute little guys. Love that potato cutting gadget!

Judy said...

The food photo looked yummy! But for me, thinking of the deputy on horseback, being paid to ride a horse all day and people watch, now that's my idea of a great job.

TexWisGirl said...

those boys made me smile. :) nice observations, kathy!

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Kathy. I want some of that catfish!

EG CameraGirl said...

Super shots of the two bothers, I think. That one made me laugh out loud. :)

Paula said...

The little boys are sooo cute but so is the little dancing girl. Interesting about the twisted potatoes but I noticed the man didn't have any tips in his jar.

Magpie said...

I love the contrast between the dancer and the little girl. Your shot captured her enthusiasm! This is a great assortment of photos. I'm with Tracy...dish me up some of that catfish.

Pia said...

This brothers are too cute and the sweet little girl makes me smile:-)

How about installing a Black an Decker drill in your kitchen for having artful twisted taters any time you want?

Liebe Grüße,
Pia

Sharon Creech said...

Thanks for taking us along - and I love the last photo, esp. the hands behind the backs. . .

Anonymous said...

I love these photos, especially with your comments! I wouldn't want to cross that deputy...she looks pretty tough. And yes, those brothers ARE too cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Love your post! I think I like the shot of the sheriff best... love that!

Lara said...

Those boys are CUTIES! I also loved the little girl dancing, but I think my favorite is the cans and bottles of syrup. GREAT composition. :)