Being a grandma myself but living with a 90-year-old parent out in the middle of nowhere on a farm, I can use all the help I can get. Even though we don't really have a working farm anymore (our pastures are leased to a neighboring cattleman) we still have a lot of chores around here. Recently after having pruned some rose bushes which were practically as tall as the house, I piled up a load of cuttings into our trusty red wagon to haul them down to a spot near the barn where we keep accumulating piles of limbs, brush, leaves, cuttings, grass until such time as our burn ban is lifted so we can dispose of this stuff like good country folk are supposed to do. I went through the gate, fastened it back to keep any wayward cows from escaping and headed off down the hill. After about 25 yards I realized the load I was pulling just felt different for some reason. Looking back over my shoulder I saw the old wagon sitting back near the gate, and that made me wonder, well, what the heck had I been pulling and dodging through all those cow patties. That's when I discovered that all that was in my hand was the handle and the front axle! The bolts holding those two pieces on had rusted through the bed of the wagon!
The next few days were spent looking for a new vehicle! I checked on line and these little red wagons that we all grew up with as children ranged in price from about $75 to over $100! And this was just for an ordinary one, not one of the fancy ones with siderails or anything like that. I finally found the best price at a hardware store about 20 miles away. I wound up making three trips to pick it up, because it wasn't in stock, then the salesman discovered he had ordered the wrong one, and then of course we discovered the price I had been quoted was wrong. The manager agreed that they should give me the wagon for the lower price I had been quoted, especially since I had made three trips to pick it up and probably used a tank of gas going back and forth so many times. Of course nothing comes assembled anymore but the salesman assured me it was quite easy (obviously, he's never seen me wrestling with a screwdriver) but did warn me that placing the little covers over the wheel spokes was the most difficult of the tasks. Well, after two hours of assembling the axles and the handle and taking it apart and redoing it because I had put it on backward the first time around and making sure all the bolts had nuts (of course I dropped a washer through the slats of the front porch and it quickly disappeared into whatever lurks under the house but luckily I found a suitable replacement in the junk drawer), then it was time to deal with those spoke covers (if that's not the proper terminology, just pretend you understand what I'm talking about). As it turned out that was the easiest part of all, so now we have a brand-new (albeit very expensive) red wagon that I put together myself!



13 comments:
You did a beautiful job of it, Kathy. Now you should build a little shed to keep it out of the weather, don't you think?
Cheers,
Jo and Stella
I like the older one best. Wonderful post.
You made me laugh:-)
I'm glad you got your new wagon and congratulations on putting it together so perfectly!
I can so understand you angst at putting that red wagon together, I am not the best "putter togetherer" either. So enjoyed your post, and may the 1st little red wagon rest in peace.
I'm sure you had a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you completed that job! When I worked at a hardware store in the lawn and garden dept., part of my job was to put together wheel barrows. Who knew there were so many different ways to do that? I love the new wagon and that it's getting broken in right. I'm laughing at the image of you pulling the handle and front axle along. :)
i'm so like you - i'd have put the handle on backwards too...
it looks great! instead of the radio flyer type of wagon, i got one of those utility wagons with the metal drop-sides. i use it for firewood gathering, feed bag toting (at times) and general stuff around here. love it.
One is NEVER too old to have a Radio Flyer or wagon of any type. We have one for my gardening supplies... couldn't live without it!
LOL. I bet you looked real cute pulling that invisible "wagon"!
I love the story! The old one had character, but at least the new one works!
I'm impressed! It's amazing what you can do when you have to...but three trips to the hardware store? You are a patient woman!
I use a wagon too, bigger though. They really are handy!
Kathy - that's too funny, pulling just the front axle! What an ordeal you went through getting another. Sounds like you've already made friends with it! And it IS a beauty!
I'm glad the comment problems went away. I'm glad to have the old layout back and still keep the wooden fence background!
That made me laugh loud Kathy, I could see you there with the handle and the axle, missing the rest from good old road master.
Great job done with the Radio Flyer. Some small manipulations and you both are ready for soap box derby:-)
SHe sure is pretty! My neighbor would plant up the old one!
Post a Comment