Friday, November 11, 2011

Gladewater Mural


This quaint mural can be found along a quarter-block area in Gladewater, a small East Texas town about 75 miles northwest of where I live.  Gladewater is one of the few small towns in Texas that has actually seen an increase in its population in the past 20 years.  Somewhere along the way the powers that be obviously decided to pave over a red brick street and now they're being punished for that decision.  The roadway is rough and chipping but perhaps in a few years more of that beautiful red brick will resurface and they can chip off that ugly old asphalt and gravel composition road covering.

9 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Imagine paving over that beautiful brick! I wonder why they did it. Perhaps there's a good reason but it's not coming easily to my mind.

What's the mural painted on?

Pia said...

I had to look twice to see what the paint is and what the real. It´s an amzing mix.

jabblog said...

Fabulous mural:-) I hope the red brick road will be fully restored - it's so much nicer than the soulless asphalt.

TexWisGirl said...

the roadway reminded me of McKinney Ave. in Dallas where they paved over the bricks too. cool mural!

Sharon said...

That mural is fantastic and that red brick roadway peeking through the pavement seems to enhance it.

Brenda's Arizona said...

The roadway has a quaint feel to it, doesn't it. What a mural! Sweet find, Kathy.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I would hardly call that mural quaint! It is amazing. And, yes, on the ugly asphalt. The brick has character.

Mildred said...

The mural is wonderful! And yes, it's a pity they covered the beautiful red bricks with the ugly asphalt!

Mari said...

What an awesome mural!