Monday, November 21, 2011

Attoyac Valley Medicine Show


This 1928 Model A huckster wagon belonging to the Attoyac Valley Medicine Show can occasionally be found on the plaza in Nacogdoches where the group calls the Old Time String Shop, site of the original General Mercantile Store, home.  With an array of instruments from fiddle, banjo, mandolin, cello, and concertina, the string band performs what is dubbed a mystical auditory adventure in which  pitchman "Rattlesnake Jack" peddles nostalgic elixirs.  The show includes homespun historical comedy and buck dancing (also known as clogging, flat-footing, jigging, or foot-stomping).  The music is a mixture of original and traditional tunes which are focused on the culture of earlier days.



When you enter the Old Time String Shop (once the General Mercantile Store) you step back into the past. The shop features a vintage Coca-Cola advertising mural on an exterior wall (posted on this blog last February as seen here) and stocks an incredible variety of musical instruments, strings and other instrument supplies, music books and CDs, and reproductions of old-timey toys and Christmas decorations. On Saturdays, banjo and guitar players and fiddlers gather on the front porch and entertain themselves ~ and passersby ~ for hours.


Original grocery advertising signs still adorn the General Mercantile Store.

6 comments:

Randy said...

That building is absolutely wonderful.

Magpie said...

I wanna go, I wanna go. :)

TexWisGirl said...

a whole lotta culture rolled up into this post!

Anonymous said...

You are surrounded by the most interesting people and places, Kathy! Magpie and I were just musing over the logistics of taking a road trip to visit you.

Sharon said...

These are all great photographic subjects. I love that old "huckster" and every time I see NEHI, I can't help but think of Radar O'Reilly.

Mari said...

I love that old truck and the building!