Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rain!!!


The rains came today.  Finally!  We got what we've been wishing for for a long time.  But you know that old saying "Be careful what you wish for."  The rains came in a huge deluge.  I had taken my mom into Nac for a doctor's appointment.  We had to wait TWO HOURS to see him.  He very conveniently disappeared right after we checked in.  And then he sent us over to the hospital for a blood draw.  That took another hour.  We dropped the prescriptions by the pharmacy and while waiting at the drive-through window it started pouring, so we quickly got on the road toward home.  Within two miles it was raining so hard visibility was practically zero.  It was that way for 27 miles and just as I was about ready to breathe a sign of relief, this is the scene I came upon with only a quarter mile left before home.  Of course when I first drove up it was much worse but it was pouring so hard I really couldn't get out of the car.  There was a tree all the way across the road, and a young man was attempting to move it away.  I finally got out in the downpour and went to see if I could help but he told me he had called a neighbor to bring a chain saw.  Within about 10 minutes they managed to make the road passable again and I finally pulled out my trusty little point-and-shoot camera and braved the rain again to get at least one blurry picture of the storm damage.  This rain was not a bit too soon.  Yesterday afternoon we had a brush fire within a half mile of our bottomland.  Heavy winds caused a tree branch to fall on a power line, causing a spark which ignited dry grass in a neighbor's meadow which was adjacent to our property.  It took the fire department a while to figure out how to get to the fire but they were eventually successful in extinguishing it.

14 comments:

Randy said...

What an amazing day you had Kathy. We'll take some of that rain off your hands. Nice shot.

DeniseinVA said...

A very dramatic picture. You must have breathed a big sigh of relief to get home finally. Three cheers for the young man and his neighbor, and for the fire department and many like them. Happy you got back to your safe and sound.

Jill said...

Thankful you arrived home safely. What a day. Great picture.

TexWisGirl said...

fire is my biggest fear - even moreso than tornados... i was so grateful to get rain here too - and back-to-back nights too!!! absolutely thrilled (but i'm also glad i didn't have to drive in it!) yikes!

Reena said...

Amazing .... great photo capture to illustrate. Glad you are safe!

Judy said...

That was a busy day! I guess that is where the old saying, "when it rains, it pours" comes from. Or maybe not.

Magpie said...

Wow! Glad you had the rains and that you and your mom made it safely home. Isn't it good to have neighbors like these? They don't stand around and wait to see who's going to do the job...they just step up and take care of business. I love people like that.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm so glad you have finally had some rain! And I'm also glad the bush fire did not get any nearer to your farm!

Sharon said...

Lots of drama for you on this day but, glad you had a good soaking rain. Great neighbors by the way.

Michelle said...

Whew...sounds like an eventful few days. My mom lives in Texas, and she called today to tell me that she's finally getting some rain. :)

Lara said...

That's some high drama you got goin' on there! Glad you are coming out here where it's hot enough for us to be on fire, we just aren't.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Wow. I guess this proves you don't live in Arizona any more.

Anonymous said...

Never a dull day. Glad you have some very helpful neighbors!

Suburban Girl said...

My goodness, that was an adventure of a day!