Saturday, June 18, 2011

The House Where I was Born


This is the house where I was born.  But it's not where I was born.  The house is where I was born but the house is not where I was born.  Now if this is beginning to sound like a riddle, let me just say that I was born in this house when it was located in a different place.  A few years ago it was literally picked up and moved from near downtown Center, Texas, to a different location about three miles outside the city.  There are a few other things about it which are different now as opposed to then, but we can't expect things not to change over the course of 60-plus years, can we?  For one thing, when I was born in this house it was white (and remained that way until after it made that treacherous journey on the backs of flatbed trucks) and not this tacky pink.  After seeing this house I recant having ever declared that pink was my favorite color.  And it certainly didn't have all that gingerbread on it either.  It was just a simple beautiful, Victorian house.  I think the porch and the balcony probably ran all the way around also.  Now, to dispel any misconceptions you may be having about the economic state of my family, I must tell you that my family did not live in this house.  My mother was simply a guest for a few days in the Center Sanitarium, which was owned and operated by a Dr. Oates, who no doubt also lived with his family in the facility.  And before you make any judgments about the mental health of my mother, Webster's defines "sanitarium" as a quiet resort where people go to rest and regain health.  Many hospitals in those days were stylishly referred to as sanitariums, so I like to think that I was born amidst a resort-like atmosphere!

Here is the same picture converted to black and white.  Don't you think these people should have just left it alone?



And here's a closeup example of some of the gingerbread that it sports today.


17 comments:

Jill said...

What a beautiful home! You're right, it's better in white but there is something whimsical about it in pink! Hello from your newest follower.

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. Very decorative indeed! I"m glad I'm not the one who has to paint it! It's not just pink but various shades of pink.

Maia T said...

Its a very beautiful house Kathy and it survived well the transportation.
Seeing the photos, I feel like I had assisted at your birth.

Though I agree with you about the color, I'm used to it. It seams to be a stupid trend newly by us to paint the houses in striking colors. I always say that developers have a huge quantity of these paints on stock and they want to get rid of it.

TexWisGirl said...

oh my goodness. the purples and yellows in the trim are... wow! they were really trying for a dollhouse effect...

you did get my head spinning a bit there with your riddle. :)

Sharon said...

Wow, that is quite a story. I can't even imagine moving a house this large and having it survive. You are so right about the color. White would have been so much better. It has quite a legacy.

Randy said...

That is a great house. Although I would paint over that pink. Love the porch!

Reena said...

The architecture is beautiful and love that front porch!! Little too pink for me!

DAnna said...

A great story! Wow, what a job to move that house - it would have been a sight to see!

Magpie said...

I agree...I like it in white and would prefer it not have all the gingerbread. A little goes a long way. And your family's financial or mental state were never in question. :)

Judy said...

What a great story! The house is quite grand but I'm with you on the color. What were they thinking? Is it now a private home?

DeniseinVA said...

I'm just trying to imagine what an undertaking that must have been to move it a mere three miles. Wish I could have seen that sight. It's lovely to be able to see the place you were born Kathy. My sister once spent a few weeks in a sanitarium in a mountain area. It was as you say, a place for people to rest and regain their strength, in her case after a long illness. And yes, I do think the new owners should have left it well alone.

Mari said...

Wow - I can't imagine moving a house of that size. It's a beautiful house, but would be so much better without the pink and the other colors!

Lara said...

It looks like a tourist attraction! That would serve lots of sweets and teas and the like. This is one extreme makeover that was better 'Before'!

Sara said...

Hi Kathy,
Why was the house moved? Was it bought by a private developer and I guess since it was no longer being used as an R&R place it made sense for it to continue to serve as a home. I love the house and a lttle pink may have been great but........

Thanks! Sara

Brenda's Arizona said...

Wow!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a gorgeous home, but yes...the pastels make it look like the Easter bunny's house!

I've been on vacation at Disney- sure is nice to catch up on all the photos I missed. Love those yellow labs...looks like my Chloe-girl.

Suburban Girl said...

I think I would prefer the classic original design. I guess the new owners like that over the top Victorian look.

What an interesting history and I had never heard of a sanitarium before.