I left on Thursday, June 23rd, to drive 1200 miles from Deep East Texas to Central Arizona to visit my daughter and grandson Em. I was so excited I couldn't wait to get on the road and finally pulled away from our farm at 6:10 a.m. It was a bit foggy and it just got foggier the closer I got to Garrison, the little town whose zip code we use. This is what the fog looked like around the historic Wiley Hotel down by the railroad tracks.
A little over an hour down the road the fog was still a little bit patchy but not a problem when I stopped to take a picture of this old store in Maydelle. Maydelle has a population of about 250 people, a number which has remained stable for the past 20 years. It reached its peak population of 450 in 1929.
My first full-fledged stop of the day was in Palestine (pronounced here as Pal-us-TEEN), the county seat of Anderson County. The county was formed in 1846 and the current courthouse constructed in 1914. I fell in love with this little town and found many photo ops there, but decided since it's only 75 miles from home I'll dedicate a day trip someday soon to return. I definitely want to go inside this beautiful courthouse as it is reported to have a center spiral staircase with a stained glass window in the dome.
To be continued ....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I love the pictures...especially the first two. The first one has such a haunting feel to it and the second one just brings up so many questions. If only that building could talk...
Enjoy your time away. I can't wait to see more pictures!
i'm not sure how you can make any time on your road trips. you stop and take photos of some amazing things. must take you three times as long to get anywhere (but that's the fun, right?!)
Love that first pic ... have fun and I look forward to the continuing journey!
I would love to go on the photo trip to Palestine with you if that courthouse is a sample of things to be seen there. Too bad it is soooo far away from me.
Whoa! It sure was foggy the morning you left! Palestine looks to me like a few "characters" might live there. :)
I love the old buildings. Be careful on the road.
Your first photo looks like my city. I thought you are very dry.
I love the foggy pictures! The courthouse is beautiful!
Your first shot is eerily beautiful. I love the fog. Then I see you managed to give us a little "rustique" also. :)
The fog looks so menacing. Great atmosphere.
Haven't checked your blog in a while - we've had guests and have been busy, but I'm catching up on your trip this morning.
Post a Comment