Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hogs!

There are no pretty pictures today.  This is what we woke up to yesterday morning on one side of our driveway up by the road.


The culprits?  Feral hogs!  I'm sure you've all heard about the feral hogs in the Southern United States.  In Texas alone, the state legislature estimates that feral hogs do up to $400 million (that's $400,000,000!) in direct damages annually to our state. These porcine princes and princesses can churn up a pasture in a Texas minute!  If the scene above weren't enough, dawn broke this morning to to find ...



... this mess on the other side of the driveway!  Although not as large an area as the night before, desperate times call for desperate measures!



The hog trap!  Our pasturage lessor normally keeps a trap in our bottomland, so he went and hauled it up the hill and placed it in the area of damage.  After all, his cows eat our grass and with the drought we've had (he cut hay last week and got 17 bales off a plot of land that normally yields 100!) he's protecting his investment by attempting to keep it hog-free.



Sprinkle a little corn around the outside of the door to entice them in!
 

Add a hefty serving of the stuff toward the back of the trap and in the inner chamber.  Make them think they're in hog heaven (which is hopefully where they will be soon!) so they become oblivious to the fact that the door will soon shut and trap them in this inescapeable box.

Tune in tomorrow.  We hope to be having sausage for breakfast!

10 comments:

Randy said...

I have never knew they could be this destructive. That is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! What a mess! I'll be tuning in for sure!

tracy said...

Oh my. I just lost my appetite.

Brenda's Arizona said...

I'll stick to yesterday's violets!

EG CameraGirl said...

Best of luck catching them!

Michelle said...

Good luck...I hope you catch them and I hope you get pictures of the naughty culprits who did that to your yard.

We had something similar happen to our yard once...I didn't know what caused it. I wonder if we have feral hogs here. Goodness...I don't even want to think of all the wild creatures that might be in the woods with me while I'm walking. Hubby tells me not to go in there alone. I told him I always bring my phone with. His reply? What are you going to do call the animal before it eats you? Lol. I should probably be more careful. I'm off to do a search to see if we have those hogs here. Interesting post, Kathy!

Magpie said...

I can smell the bacon now!
I never knew they would do this kind of damage. That's amazing. I'm waiting to see what happened.

Sharon Creech said...

Hadn't heard of these beasts--eww.

TexWisGirl said...

oh my goodness! i'd hate to see that in my area. so far, so good, but i know they're around!

Lara said...

Blech! Any bacon?