Monday, May 16, 2011

First Presbyterian Church of Crockett

The First Presbyterian Church of Crockett, Texas (named for Davy Crockett, frontiersman and hero of the Alamo) was established in 1854.  Members of the congregation met in a Baptist Church until the completion of their first building 32 years later in 1886.  That building was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day, 1926, and was replaced by the current structure.  The church is also known as the Tenney Memorial in honor of the Rev. S.F. Tenney who served as pastor for 54 years, 1871-1925.  In my travels I am simply amazed at how many important buildings, churches, courthouses, sometimes entire city blocks, were destroyed by fire in the 1800s and early 1900s.




I'm not sure what the architectural style of this church is, although I would tend to call it a cross between an English castle and Greek revival.  While looking on line at images of Presbyterian Churches I noticed that this particular architecture is somewhat common for this denomination.  I also find it interesting that the turrets are not symmetrical.  If any of you architecture buffs out there can enlighten me, please do!

11 comments:

Randy said...

Gotta love brick.

TexWisGirl said...

it's very pretty! love the brick with the white trim. very prim and proper looking. :)

Sharon said...

That is very solid structure that will last a very long time and it looks like it is very well cared for.

tracy said...

Love this church. It reminds me of so many of the churches where I grew up.

Magpie said...

Don't know about the architecture, but I was thinking the same thing about the fires after visiting both your blogs.

Judy said...

This is a very dignified looking building.

EG CameraGirl said...

The towers look Presbyterian to me for sure.

You know what, there were many fires here during that period too. It probably had something to do with how buildings were heated back then.

But one of the silliest stories I've ever heard is how all the records for my village were destroyed in a fire in 1910. Would you believe the town housed the records above a blacksmith shop? Well, that's the story I heard, anyway.

Mari said...

What a beautiful building!

Maia T said...

Another architectural jewelry!
I wouldn't notice the turrets if you don't point it out.

The style is a combination of more styles:
- the column are in Ionic style (from ancient Greece).
- the semi-circular arches on windows could be in Neo-Romanesque style, quite popular in the United States in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, for these kind of buildings.
(I'm just guessing.)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, Kathy...the style of the building and asymmetrical turrets. I've never even heard of the term "turret" before, so thank you! It's why I love visiting your blog.

Suburban Girl said...

Beautiful place. Looks like a combination of styles.