Thursday, March 31, 2011
Abercrombie-Cavanaugh House ~ Lufkin
I went out on another road trip today but I am too tired to process and pick a photo, so I bring you the Abercrombie-Cavanaugh House in Lufkin from a previous road trip. This was an easy choice for black and white: the house was white, the trim was gray, it was a rather gray day, and it was still winter so the trees had not yet sprouted green. As far as I can discern, this beautiful Queen Anne style Victorian was built around 1915. Here in Texas it seems some cities (or counties) take a lot of pride in their historic homes and are eagerly willing to proclaim their history via the Internet; and then again there are cities/counties, i.e., Lufkin/Angelina, who don't bother telling anyone about their treasures. I found this house on the National Registry of Historic Places and also on the Texas Historical Commission website, but virtually no information about its builder or its history. It certainly appears to have been well cared for during its nearly century-long existence. It had lush grounds and even a matching carriage house behind it! So we can just all use our imaginations as to who Mr. Abercrombie was and why the Cavanaughs moved in after Abercrombies vacated. Maybe there was a big town scandal and there are skeletons in closets that I'll never open. So just go for it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
I love that porch! Beautiful B&W.
I'm with Randy. I want that porch!
It does lend itself to b&w beautifully. Well, I guess Randy, Tracy and I will be partying on that porch. We'll invite Lara to come along. :)
Nice place!
It's a wonderful house. I'm letting my imagination run wild.
I love those old historic homes with the big wrap around porches. It's a "crime" for this one not to have rockers and hanging baskets of flowers. Can't you just picture them there...along with a sleeping dog and a glass of lemonade? :)
I like that wrap-around porch. I think some towns have a few people interested in their town's history and some do not! Poor Lufkin! I hope someone comes along and puts the pieces together before it's too late.
I love the wrap-around porch. It reminds me of my grandfather's home that was built roughly the same time.
Black and white is a great choice for this photo. Love the porch, I always wish I had one like that.
Post a Comment