Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Woodmen of the World Building ~ Nacogdoches



The first time I saw this building after moving back to East Texas I immediately thought of East Gwillimbury WOW, a blogger friend from, you guessed it, East Gwillimbury, Ontario.  After several attempts I believe I finally got a decent picture of it.  I don’t know why it’s been so difficult.  Either the light wasn’t right or the angle was askew or just the fact that it’s a big square building in the middle of a block.  So EG, this one is for you!  And all you readers, I hope if you're not already familiar with her blog, you will visit it soon.

Originally the site of the home of Frost Thorn, an early Texas impresario and Texas’ first millionaire, the land was purchased in 1919 by the Woodmen of the World fraternal association and the three-story building was constructed in about 1922 for a cost of $25,656.  WOW was a very popular organization in Texas at the turn of the century, providing aid across the state in times of disaster.  Through the years the Woodmen sponsored popular public dances upstairs.  Many different businesses have occupied this building, a grocery and hardware store, a furniture and appliance company, a business college, a surplus store, and presently an antique market.  The building is a Texas landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

12 comments:

Sharon said...

It's had many careers and is still going strong. I love when that happens. I also love the WOW on top. It's almost like the building is always happy!

Judy said...

A handsome old building still being useful. I like that street light too.

Mari said...

What a neat old building. Glad it's still in use, and the WOW is pretty cool!

tracy said...

WoW. I like it!

Randy said...

That really is a beautiful piece of architecture.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh WoW! :)) Too funny, Kathy!

Clif said...

Another great shot, Kathy!

Michelle said...

The cars in front really give it a sense of scale. Great job. I think it's hard to photograph architecture like this, but you did it!

Suburban Girl said...

Wow-!! Cute name. It is hard to take building photos without them looking skewed, but you did a nice job on this one.

Kate said...

WOW! Persistence always pays off. Incidentally, I LOVED your comment on my blog today!!

Magpie said...

Shouldn't the Woodmen of the World build a wooden building? Just sayin'. :)
It's beautiful and still going strong.

Lara said...

Wow, indeed!