Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cheery Lynn Historic District 171/365

I am on a quest to visit and photograph all of the 35 historic districts in the city of Phoenix. It may take some time. The first is Cheery Lynn (and it is Cheery, not Cherry), a small district south of Osborn and west of 16th Street whose homes began construction in 1928. According to historic documents the subdivision contained 89 lots but today I count approximately 65 homes in the district. The first 14 homes were Tudor Revival style (as above) with massive chimneys and steep gables. Several English cottage style homes came shortly thereafter. After the Great Depression the newer homes were Spanish/Monterey style built of stucco and tiled roofs, and the last homes to be built in the subdivision after World War II had generally evolved into transitional and early California ranch styles. Cheery Lynn is one of the more charming historic districts in the city. It is obvious that the great majority of the homes have been modernized and updated. But just because areas are historic it does not mean they are beautiful or in the better parts of town. In the weeks to come you will see some examples of those districts which have not fared as well as Cheery Lynn. To see more photos of homes in Cheery Lynn and some guard dogs I encountered please click here.

Today's News: Phoenix Metro Rail riders joined NYC, Boston, Denver, LA, Chicago and 1,000 other cities all over the planet for No Pants Day where riders at a given time (2 p.m. in Phoenix) took off their pants and acted as if it was the norm for the day. The only rule was "no thongs, please." I was tempted to ride the rails here in Phoenix for a great photo op, but instead I chickened out and went to Cherry Lynn!

Today in History: 1901 - The first great Texas oil gusher is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, TX.

1 comment:

Mari said...

I love that name, and the style of house too!