Saturday, May 16, 2015
What is it?
While I was in Goliad I came across this little structure and I was never able to determine exactly what it is. Do you have any thoughts? It appears to be constructed of large stone blocks but it was much smaller than I originally thought and it's hard to make much of a decision because of the vine that is now covering most of it. At first I believed it to be a jail because of the little window with iron bars running through it. But then I saw it was only a couple of feet wide so it didn't seem likely that it was a one-room jail. But due to its close proximity to the courthouse, only one block away right across the street from the two abandoned buildings that were shown in last Monday's post, my latest guess is that it may indeed be the ruins of one wall of what was once the old Goliad jail. If you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them. Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
Fascinating and definitely worth taking a photo of! Perhaps you are correct that it's what remains of the old jail.
Glad you explained a bit. I really thought it was the trunk of a huge tree.
You could be right. Scary to think of anyone locked up there.
a holding cell on the way to the gallows? yikes! :)
Whatever it is, it looks very old. I wouldn't want to spend time locked inside there.
it is a great little stone building and a piece of history. i love it. maybe a part of the jail like you said, or maybe a place to hold one person before they hung them.. very interesting find
It appears to be a ruin of some kind.
Interesting.
My guess would be the remains of an old jail, too. It certainly is an interesting looking structure with all the greenery growing out of its top.
It appears to be a jail from long ago. Nice shot!
I don't know but it is interesting.
It does look like it might be part of an old jail! Very interesting. It's neat to see old things like this from long ago.
I agree with everyone else- maybe part of an old jail. Neat capture, whatever it is!
Could it be a guard house? Very interesting, at first I thought it was a tree.
Yes, perhaps this is all that's left, and the rest of the structure was wooden and didn't last, and it's indeed a jail. That makes sense due to its proximity to the courthouse, I would think.
I have to apologize about the goldfinch in the Palo verde. So many people said they couldn't spot it so I blew the picture up, intent on drawing a circle around the bird and re-posting. Only, there was no bird. I know one flew into that tree and I had actually been trying to photograph the bird itself and not the tree but it must have flown the coop before I took the shot. I seem to have some egg on my face! :-)
I thought it was a tree trunk also.
Post a Comment