Sunday, May 17, 2015
DeWitt County Courthouse (Texas No. 50)
The DeWitt County Courthouse in Cuero is one of Texas' beautifully restored courthouses. It was built in 1897 in the Romanesque Revival architectural style popular of that era in brown sandstone and pink granite. It was rededicated during its restoration in 2007 and is the jewel of this quaint little town 100 miles south of Austin. You may notice the woman ascending the stairs near the front entry in the green shirt. Her name is also Kathy (maybe with a C; I don't really know) and I will tell you more about her in a few moments.
Cuero was established in 1846 and today is a community of just under 7,000 folks. In 2010 it was named as one of the coolest small towns in America by Budget Travel Magazine. It is unofficially known as the turkey capitol of the world and annually hosts a Turkey Fest in which one of the most popular activities is a turkey trot where the participants are actually turkeys rather than people. These festivities have been ongoing since the early 1900s.
And now back to the lady in the green shirt. My cousin and I saw Kathy in a parking lot across the street from the courthouse as I was walking away from the building to get a photograph. She struck up a conversation with us and invited us to come inside the courthouse after lunch and she would arrange for us to go up into the clock tower! Over the next few days I'll show you some photos that were taken inside the courthouse and inside the clock tower, a first for me. Now I want to go up in all of them!
This is the 50th photograph of Texas' courthouses. For those of you who are interested, if you click on the label "Courthouses" in the upper far right column, all 50 courthouses are segregated into one list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




16 comments:
wow, you are up to 50 now.. i have loved them all. can't wait to see the inside of one of these grand old ladies. i love that tree in front of the building also.
I scrolled through all the courthouses and here are my favorites in order,
Comal, Grimes Wise and Fayette..
I like the way the contrast in color of the stone sets off the edges and outlines the windows and doors. How lucky to run into someone who gives you an invitation to tour the inside. I'm looking forward to seeing that.
And congratulations on your 50 courthouses that you have photographed so far. How many more before you can publish a book?
so very cool she invited you inside! quite a striking courthouse, for sure.
I have a lot of catching up to do on your courthouses Kathy. Thank you for pointing out the label below this post. I shall be going there next. This is a beautiful old building and how very nice of this lady to invite you in. It must have been a very interesting time and I look forward to coming back to see the inside and up in the clocktower.
No wonder the 'eyes of TX ' are upon this one. Certainly worth a restoration.
What an amazing structure, so beautifully ornate. I can't wait to see the rest of the photos. How lucky to get this opportunity.
I think it's wonderful that all these old courthouses have been preserved. They are magnificent!
So nice of the lady in the green shirt. There are still a lot of nice people around. we had a dear elderly friend who was from Cuero. Clara wanted to live to be 100 and she did. She is buried in Cuero.
Looks more like a school.
I may have seen some 3D puzzles resembling this beautiful structure !
Such a distinguished looking building.
The invite to the clock tower had to be exciting. Can't wait to see pics.
It's another stunning Texan courthouse!
I know what you mean about feeling pressured to be quick about taking photos when you're with other people!
Kathy, I feel sad that I somehow missed seeing Cuero when we lived in Texas. We often drove around the countryside, exploring and I never came across it. We never got that far south. I see on the map its on the Guadalupe R. I would have liked to have checked it out! Beautiful courthouse!
Kathy you have given us such a tour. Thank you. What structure and the color and design.
Awesome!
Post a Comment