Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fence at Goliad and Setting the Record Straight


The fence that keeps no one in
and lets everyone out

I spotted this so-called fence during my recent trip through Goliad just a block from the courthouse downtown.  Of course, I immediately thought of our friend TexWis and her Good Fences meme.  I suppose it's purely decorative because, as indicated above, this fence keeps no one in and lets everyone out.  It actually marks the entrance to a small park.

Visit other fence enthusiasts at Good Fences HERE.

Now let's get a few things straight.  Do you see green in this photo?  Of course you do.  Do you see trees in this photo?  Of course you do.  Do you see any canyons or mountains or desert or dust in this photo?  Of course you don't.
If you've been watching the miniseries Texas Rising on the History Channel, the last episode was primarily about Goliad and it is portrayed as being in a canyonland.  I think you call tell by this photo that there is likely is no canyons anywhere near Goliad, nor any majestic mountains, not any dust in a desertlike setting.  Instead it is surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside in what is known as the Hill Country (not canyon or mountain country) of Central Texas.  If you go back just a few posts in this blog to May 14 there is a photo of an old red barn in a field of greenery taken just a few hundred feet from this wacky fence.  Go back just a few days further to May 9 and see the beautiful old live oak trees that stand guard in the square of the historic courthouse.  

And the truth of the matter be known, not only is the setting totally false, the facts in this so-called historical drama are so flawed that it's hard for me to watch.  Wrong facts, people who never existed walking alongside icons of Texas history, twisted chronology may be good TV, but if you want a really good story it's right at your fingertips.  Just Google James Fannin and Emily West and read their true stories.  Look for a person named Lorca who survived the Alamo.  No adult male sympathetic to the Texas cause survived the Alamo.  

So if you want to watch this series, go ahead, but remember:  You can't believe everything you see on TV and ...

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS


21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Pretty fence scene. I am never one to believe anything or everything I see or hear on TV. Have a happy day!

Paula said...

Interesting. I've seen someone build something like this around a young tree to protect it.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I agree with Eileen, we don't believe anything we see on TV or in the movies or even what is written. Facebook is what blows my mind, people passing around false stories and just because it is written there they believe it. also the emails passed around with false info... love that old fence.. another thing about Texas rising is they sure have a lot of poor actors, not all but most..

Cranberry Morning said...

Isn't that annoying when they twist history like that! It's not the first time and certainly not the last. What's sad is that many kids only get their information, false though it is, from TV and social media. They're going to grow up to be misinformed voters. Pretty scary, isn't it. Cool fence.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, they've got your dander up! ;) love the sorta-fence. you go, ms. historian!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Why I rarely watch stuff on TV . . .

Love the fence you shared today.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

You tell em, Kathy! I don't understand why these tv people think they need to embellish the facts with outright lies. History is history and it doesn't need any help being interesting...at least not to me. Neat fence!

Suburban Girl said...

WHat? Is that supposed to be a documentary or fiction? Gosh, tv is so messed up anymore.

LV said...

Never saw this show. In fact, I seldom watch TV as nothing good on anymore.

Judy said...

The fence must be a decorative one but I know that is how many fences were built in the old days.
I haven't seen the program but I'm not surprised. I get irked about things like that myself. Yup, Don't Mess With Texas.

Sharon said...

You had me laughing out loud with this one. I haven't seen that program either but after reading this, I'll avoid the History Channel altogether. Maybe that channel is owned by Fox News!

Anonymous said...

Interesting your take.

Birdman said...

Ha! You caught them canyon-handed.

Unknown said...

Shall we call it installation? Well, whatever it is, it's pretty cool and I love the wood.

Kate said...

Love your spirit! Even "facts" are often suspect. Surf Google and you'll see (read) what I mean. Good advice, Kathy, and and a great photo of a fence. It IS a fence!!

Mersad said...

Nice of you to defend the truth :) I don't trust anything I see on TV for a long time, but it's nice to see a different sight, although I have seen plenty of green in your blog posts so far :)

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

A Colorful World said...

LOVE this post, Kathy! Russell & I have been fussing about that too! I don't know where they filmed the series, but it sure wasn't where it happened. :-)

Randy said...

Nice and sturdy looking.

Ida said...

What a great looking fence. No matter that it doesn't keep anyone in or out it still looks pretty cool. - I've not been watching the series you mentioned and now that I read that it's been "stretched" truth wise I probably wouldn't want to watch it anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.

doodles n daydreams said...

A really interesting fence.

Diana

EG CameraGirl said...

I really don't like history that gets so twisted. Truth be told, I think most history as written in textbooks is a little "off" but to stray so far off is unconscionable.