After meeting up with the lady in the green shirt at the DeWitt County Couthouse who had suggested we return in about 20 minutes during afternoon business hours so she could arrange for our personal tour of the bell tour, we drove through the small town of Cuero and found lots of wonderful Victorian architecture. The building in the photo above is the J. Stratton Building, constructed in 1894 by John Stratton, a local entrepreneur. The turret features three windows with curved glass. Over the years since 1894 the building has been the home of a saddlery operated by Stratton, a hotel, known at various times as the Navidad, the Florence and the Texas Hotel. It has also housed a butane gas company, the Cuero Chamber of Commerce, an insurance agency, a shoe repair shop, a pool hall, and even a bowling alley at one time in the basement. Today it seems to be vacant and waiting for a tenant. Wouldn't it be grand to have an apartment on the upper floor with perhaps a lovely Queen Anne sitting room underneath that turret and watch the traffic go by on the main drag of town?
On the opposite corner sits this fabulous building which at least appears to be somewhat occupied.
St. Michael's Catholic Church, another outstanding example
of church architecture in Texas
of church architecture in Texas
Parish established in 1875
Current building erected in 1931
Sorry for my unplanned and unannounced absence from blogging. I've been inundated with work and we've been inundated with storms, tornados and devastating rains. It's literally been raining here since December 26. I'm not exaggering when I say there's probably been less than 15 days since that time that we've been dry for a complete 24-hour period. I live in an area that has managed to dodge the bullet several times (last night a damaging tornado just 18 miles from here) but it's getting a little distressing to have your life and your land constantly uprooted by these devastating floods. The next 10 days are forecast for eight days of rain, one day of sun, and one day of some sun and some rain. I'll try to get back on track and visit you all in the next few days.




7 comments:
The weather in Texas and Oklahoma has been so bad that it has actually been featured on our Canadian news. Stay safe!
I am glad you are safe, we have been watching CNN coverage of TX flooding all morning and it is horrific and the rain continues another week. praying for sunshine for you and the rest of TX... i would love to live in either of those old buildings, would like my reading chair in the tower.. maybe they could make apartments in them for housing. doesn't look like a business will make it there... sad. we are watching the History channel Texas Rising, mini series.
yes, we've managed the same - dodging the worst of the flooding and even tornadoes that came plenty close in my opinion. but the wave after wave of severe weather has certainly put me on edge this year. i've not ever remembered a spring like this one in 31 yrs of living in texas.
pretty neat buildings in that town.
A perfect small town!
( '>
/))
//""
ALOHA from Honolulu,
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=
I'm so sorry about your weather. I've heard reports on the news but had no idea where you were in relation. I like those two building properties. A great way to dress up a street corner!
Beautiful old buildings.
I like buildings with turret rooms. These old buildings are wonderful to see.
I have been wondering how you were doing with all that rain. I can't imagine having rain every day for so long. I hope things get better soon.
Post a Comment