On my recent trip to Ennis, Texas, my friend and I encountered this small field of red poppies on one of the country roadsides. There were some grazing cattle nearby although an electric fence surrounded the poppy plat because I'm sure cows would just love to munch on those pretty red blossoms. These poppies were tall enough that you could barely see the cows' heads above them. We came back later hoping for a better photo but the cows had moved on. I've mentioned before that animals tend to turn their backs to me when I'm photographing them and it seems like there are some flowers that do the same. I was held back by a barbed wire fence so this was the only angle available. It probably had more to do with the sun in the eastern sky. Had I been able to come back in the afternoon those poppies would surely have been looking at me in the face. I'm not sure I'd call these wildflowers, especially since they seem to be of the "double" rather than "single" variety. And I would have loved to have had an opportunity a couple weeks later to return and see all those buds replaced by full-bloomed flowers.
Saturday, May 2, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Your love of flowers is apparent. Lovely field of red even if their faces are turned away!
Wow, beautiful!
so pretty and i have never seen them growing. we watch the plants in the back yard following the sun, there little faces are drawn to it, just like we are
This is a very pretty photo and to see a whole field of poppies must be a joy.
laughing that even flowers give you butt shots. :)
That had to be a very pretty scene.
Yep, I'm sure the cattle would find poppies very tasty. Sorry the poppies were rude to you though! My goodness they have such poor manners. :)
That must have been a happy sight. I scattered poppy seeds on my yard once, thinking they would grow like wildflowers but none came up, even though one yard nearby is full of them. Not sure what happened. Maybe the birds ate all my seed.
They are pretty and I bet when they were in full bloom they were beautiful.
"Poppies, poppies... Sleep...". Always reminds me of that scene on the way to Oz.
Nice find.
Such a lovely field of poppies! One doesn't often see so many.
Post a Comment