Friday, May 15, 2015
Open Your Eyes and Look Up
On my wildflower trip in April to South Central Texas I was pretty much focused on what I was seeing on the roadsides. The first heavy concentration of wildflowers was spotted between Golidad and Cuero. Bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, prickly poppies, scarlet gaura and many other varieties were dotting the landscape. As I drove by this area all I saw were these paintbrush and clumps of prickly poppies, but when I looked up I discovered this wonderful mural painted on the side of a very long building which I surmised must be a horsebarn.
The sweetest scene is of this little girl hugging a beautiful collie. How many of you remember the Lassie programs of the 1950s?
Then there was the cowboy cinching the saddle on a beautiful horse. It obviously is or was a ranch for horses and collie dogs called Storybook Collies.
Remember when Timmy and Lassie had a new adventure every week?
I searched on line for Storybook Collies but the only reference I could find was to a breeder in New Hampshire, and Texas is a long way from New Hampshire so I didn't believe there could be a connection. The building looks to be in good repair but the paintings are fading. Perhaps they're as old as those 1950s TV shows that I loved as a child. But I'm so happy that I looked up and saw them and I'm reminded that we need to see more than what sometimes meets the eye. Look up and around wherever you go and the world will be a constant adventure for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
Such a beautiful mural and yes I do remember watching Lassie!
it is a beautiful place and looks cared for, the buildings i mean. love he flowers and the murals are wonderful. we had no TV back then, but i did see a few of the reruns when i was older. but i read Lassie Come home and cried all the way through it
really, really cool find!
I do remember! And I like the old barn with the beautiful murals.
Hi Kathy, wonderful photos. Love the barn side paintings. Yes, I do remember the Lassie series when I was a little girl in the 60's.
Have a nice weekend.
CM
I opened my eyes and I loved what I saw. Kathy you captured these wonderful murals so beautifully.
I love the most the sweetest scene with a little girl.
Beautiful, wonderful and very interesting!
The mural is delightful! So are the wildflowers..great photos! I would venture a guess that the place is not called Storybook Collies, but that this mural is an homage to all the books written about collies. Perhaps they were the farm owner's favorites as a child, and they had their own collies that they loved as well.
Nice and I like the wildflowers.
Such a great find. Something you don't find everywhere.
Wildflowers are so pretty. I love how the seem part of the barn side paintings. Yes, the little girl and puppy are so cute!
Funny how we can be looking for something and miss something els. Well, in this case you didn't miss it! I do remember Timmy and Lassie!
Love the images from the mural.
Post a Comment