Friday, March 13, 2015
The Visitor
I was watching Good Morning America when I saw the four legs crossing the driveway. We don't have a lot of dogs in our area that roam around so by the time I untangled myself from the blanket that was keeping me all snug and warm and got to the kitchen window I saw him standing near my truck. I ran for the camera and of course the memory card was in the computer! When will I ever learn to put it back in the camera after I've downloaded photos. I felt certain he would be gone by the time I returned, but not so. He seemed very unconcerned that I even came outside onto the porch to get a closer shot. He looked straight at me, even though I had expected him to run the moment I opened the storm door. It's a little frightening when wild animals aren't afraid of you. We hear them frequently at night but only occasionally see them in daylight hours and that's usually a chance encounter driving down an infrequently used dirt road in the middle of the forest and they're not expecting humans to be in their path. I'm sure that with all the rains we've had and with the bottom lands being flooded that all the small animals the coyotes prey upon have been driven to higher ground so my surmise is this guy was hungry and in need of a meal. He watched me for several seconds before he turned and at a leisurely trot headed through the meadow into the woods.
The east side of our property is bordered by a small creek. About a half mile upstream the usually narrow creek runs under two bridges on a farm to market road. This was the scene two days ago and it has been raining steadily since. Can you see the three fence posts sticking out of the water in the center of the photograph in the largest break between the trees which are submerged in water? I think this is what the coyote was escaping from when he wound up in my driveway not more than 20 feet from where I park my truck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



14 comments:
I think more and more coyotes are becoming less afraid of humans. We have quite a few here too.
we have seen three of these coyotes here in the city limits.. we have paved their paradise.
i would be so excited except for the dogs sake.
I watch GMA every morning to.
That is one healthy looking coyote. So many I have seen are skin and bones. We used to hear them at night but as the town grew they came in less and less.
That creek looks more like a river to my dry Arizona eyes.
The bees only stayed for a couple of hours and were off again. I was concerned but did a google search which set my mind at ease.
your coyote is almost dog-like looking. interesting! that's a swollen creek! we are getting heavy rain here this morning! i'm loving the run-off as our pond still needs A LOT!
I think he was wondering if you might have a nice steak or roast in your fridge that you would like to part with. :-) That water is very high! I didn't realize you were getting that much rain.
I'll see a coyote every now and then getting a drink at our pond. We can hear the pack yipping at night. I just hope they leave our outside kitties alone.
I hope your weather straightens up soon!
We don't see coyotes much at the ranch anymore. When we do they don't look as healthy as yours. Ours are more of a grey color and their head is more pointy looking.
Little creek? Yikes. All the flooding makes it a river right now. In summer I can hear the coyotes howling away. Small dogs and cats beware!
There are many coyotes here. They can be quite bold. Our cats are now inside kitties because of them.
I always leave my card in my computer too! I'm glad this guy waited for you to retrieve it. He looks so much healthier than the ones I used to see in Dallas. Guess he is well fed. Beautiful.
What a wonderful photo; I'd be thrilled to see that animal!
Nice looking vistor you had there.
Oh my! Your area is definitely flooded! What an interesting encounter, seeing the coyote. The only one I've seen in front of my house was such a treat and I got several photos, but I've seen them other places from time to time. I always feel sorry for them because it seems everyone hates them! I used to hear them a lot more when we lived in Texas, as they were all around our farmhouse at night. Here in the burbs in AZ I hear them from a distance, but only when I have the windows open in spring and fall.
You got a real keeper of your visitor. We have them also. Like youy say.
They run at the crack of human movement or a door opening.
He looks healthy.
Post a Comment