Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Strand Theater - Shreveport


Last weekend I drove over to Shreveport, Louisiana, to do some much needed shopping.  I decided it was time to see if I could find any historic buildings in that Louisiana city.  I knew there had to be some, although the city has been deteriorating the last few decades.  One of the jewels of Shreveport is the historic Strand Theater, and you can see by the marquee that it is still open for business, since I was there Saturday, March 14.  It's incredibly beautiful on the outside and from what I read on the Internet the interior far surpasses the exterior.


It opened in 1925 as a grand opera house and in its earlier years had its own full-time orchestra and a 939-pipe organ.  During the war years all but three of the theater's massive chandeliers were removed and sent to New Orleans during kilowatt rationing.  After the war in the early 1950's the marquee was removed and replaced with a 12-foot vertical neon sign.  In the mid-1950s the opera boxes were removed to facilitate cinemascope motion pictures.  John Wayne and William Holden were at the Strand for the movie premier of The Horse Soldier in 1959.  The Strand continued to operate as a movie theater through the mid-'70s when it closed in a state of sad demise.


In 1976 the owner, ABC Interstate Theatres, donated the Strand to the newly formed Strand Theatre of Shreveport Corporation and a seven-year renovation project was initiated.  The lost chandeliers were copied from early-day photos, the opera boxes were replaced, and the original marquee was replicated and the Strand reopened in Decemer of 1984 to a standing-room only audience at a performance of the Shreveport Symphony.  Today the Strand is the venue for touring Broadway shows, concerts and plays and is the home to several dance companies.  It is considered one of the top five glitziest theaters for live performance in the country.

Tomorrow I'll show you what is across the street from the Strand.

10 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this is great news that they preserved this gorgeous old building.. i love it.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

the inside is even MORE Amazing than the outside. i just have to use the overused word AWESOME

TexWisGirl said...

that's very cool. sometimes we humans get things right - and nice to see it has so much support, still!

Sharon said...

That is a remarkable building and quite a history too!

Judy said...

They sure knew how to build a beautiful building back the the old days. I love all the ornate details.

EG CameraGirl said...

I very much like that dome on the Strand. The reno (at least on the outside) is a success!

Kate said...

A great place and what a wonderful place for musical reviews and shows! Kudos for those who expended money and effort to renovate.

Randy said...

I love all of the details.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I've never been to the Strand, although I have gone through some of downtown. What a beautiful building.

A Colorful World said...

Love this beautiful historic theatre! It needs some love, but it is a stunning piece of architecture with a fine history.