Monday, March 23, 2015

Across the Street from the Strand


I think everyone who commented on yesterday's photos of the Strand Theater in Shreveport was taken by that beautiful building.  But across the street on the other three corners is a different story.


Once beautiful structures look like victims of war, broken glass, graffiti, razor wire atop chain link fences, trash blowing through them.


This is the innercity.  Scary, huh?  It's amazing that the Strand, smack dab in the middle of this devastation, has continued to be the cultural center that it is.  I'd probably be afraid to even go into this area after dark  It was frightening even on a Saturday afternoon in broad daylight.  I remember as a child my mother would take me to Shreveport to shop for new school clothes.  The downtown had a parklike atmosphere with high-end clothing and shoe stores.  But the Strand still stands.

8 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I thought the same thing, about danger in going to that beautiful Strand. maybe someone will preserve those other buildings or at least the city might tear them down... they would be beautiful re done

Birdman said...

Urban blight now, but endless possibilities down the road a bit. Thinking positive here.

TexWisGirl said...

that's a real shame. long may the strand stand and operate.

Sharon said...

wow, that is amazing. What a difference. Back in the mid 90's I worked for a couple of years in downtown St. Louis. As a kid growing up in Illinois, we used to go to St. Louis for holiday shopping and I was always taken by the big, busy, vibrant downtown. In fact, I think that's where I got my love of big city life. In the 90's when I worked there it was a different story. Everything was run down and all the big stores that used to be there were gone. It was sometimes scary walking to my apartment from the light rail station on those Sunday nights when I flew back to St. Louis from Phoenix. Now I hear it has turned itself around and is busy and vibrant once again. All those vacant buildings have been converted to office space or condos and the area is once again thriving. At least that's what I hear.

Judy said...

How sad. It would be nice to see the buildings restored but they look pretty far gone.

EG CameraGirl said...

Incredible contrast between the Strand and the other side of the street. Very sad.

Kate said...

I recall as Sharon has that some cities become revitalized after years of neglect and demographic shifts. Let's hope that this occurs here, too. You feelings of fear appear to be well-founded from the photos you have shown.

A Colorful World said...

Once beautiful...and now sad. Such a shame!